Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by BacardiWasabi <se...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/13 09:53:08 UTC

Tomcat for Large Team Size

Here is my situation

We have a large team size 20-30. We willbe using
Tomcat 4.0 on 2000.

a) Do u install stand alone tomcat on each developer
machine? Will it be a good idea? In that case, config
files (web.xml/servler.xml etc) should be in synch
with others. This may lead to problems

b) Or Can we have one instance of tomcat running
central. And each developer sharring one port. so that
he(developer) can restart/restop that port. How do u
achieve this

c) Any other good method to implement tomcat on large
size project

and last any link to good docs on Team Development
using Tomcat

thanks

Re: Tomcat for Large Team Size

Posted by Jim Cheesman <jc...@msl.es>.
At 01:23 PM 13/11/01, you wrote:
> > >b) Or Can we have one instance of tomcat running
> > >central. And each developer sharring one port. so that
> > >he(developer) can restart/restop that port. How do u
> > >achieve this
> >
> > Yuk. I don't know if this is possible, but I very much doubt it.
>
>Why not? Several instances of Tomcat running on the same machine with
>different config files. I believe that is teh idea of having CATALINA_HOME
>and CATALINA_BASE. CATALINA_HOME is where Tomcat binaries are, while
>CATALINA_BASE is where you keep your instance of Tomcat.

Fair nuff! (Assuming you're right) I stand corrected.

--

                           *   Jim Cheesman   *
             Trabajo:

Re: Tomcat for Large Team Size

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> >b) Or Can we have one instance of tomcat running
> >central. And each developer sharring one port. so that
> >he(developer) can restart/restop that port. How do u
> >achieve this
>
> Yuk. I don't know if this is possible, but I very much doubt it.

Why not? Several instances of Tomcat running on the same machine with different config files. I believe that is teh idea of having CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE. CATALINA_HOME is where Tomcat binaries are, while CATALINA_BASE is where you keep your instance of Tomcat.

Nix.

Re: Tomcat for Large Team Size

Posted by Jim Cheesman <jc...@msl.es>.
At 09:53 AM 13/11/01, you wrote:
>Here is my situation
>
>We have a large team size 20-30. We willbe using
>Tomcat 4.0 on 2000.
>
>a) Do u install stand alone tomcat on each developer
>machine? Will it be a good idea? In that case, config
>files (web.xml/servler.xml etc) should be in synch
>with others. This may lead to problems

Yes. As the developers are testing you need to be able to shutdown/startup
tomcat without worrying about whether or not anyone else is using it.

>b) Or Can we have one instance of tomcat running
>central. And each developer sharring one port. so that
>he(developer) can restart/restop that port. How do u
>achieve this

Yuk. I don't know if this is possible, but I very much doubt it.

>c) Any other good method to implement tomcat on large
>size project

Stick a seperate copy of tomcat on a central server, with a periodic
ant/junit/cactus/cvs|vss task running. That way you can ensure (to a
certain degree) that the project integrates.

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
My guess is your IDE is causing your performance issues.  We don't use a
true IDE, we use jEdit which supports the Ant build process and JSwat
debugger.  I will admit that running Tomcat 4.0 with JSwat is vary
sssllloooowwww.  Other then that, Tomcat 4.0 and jEdit 3.2.2 get along just
fine our PIII 800's with 256M of RAM.  We are even able to run MS SQL server
client and MS VSS at the same time with no problems.

Jim

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.
We are running tomcat 3.2 for about 20 developers. The reloading is very bad
and remotedebugging is horrible (depending on your development environment
btw). But besides the "downsides" it is working perfectly (we are running
unix btw..)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
I manage a team 7 server side Java developers.  Each member runs a copy of
Tomcat on their PC.  Each PC is configured the same.  We have a standard
directory structure and use Ant to do our builds.  We use SourceSafe for
source management.  Our Ant build.xml uses the VSSGET option of Ant to fetch
the latest version of each file prior to compiling (the VSSGET will not over
write a write able file).  We also use VSSGET to fetch all the supporting
files too (images, HTML, XSL, etc).  All files, including the build.xml are
maintained in VSS.  We have a team server which also runs Tomcat.  Each
night at midnight the build is run on the server and Tomcat is restarted.
We've been doing this for almost two years with no problems.

Jim Urban
Product Manager
Netsteps Inc.
Suite 505E
1 Pierce Pl.
Itasca, IL  60143
Voice:  (630) 250-3045 x2164

Removing Generated JSP Servlets

Posted by BacardiWasabi <se...@yahoo.com>.
1. Ok...im looking for some option ...so that jsp is
compiled every time..