Posted to user@directmemory.apache.org by Dima Gutzeit <gu...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/01 07:15:47 UTC

Status and readiness of Apache DirectMemory

Dear list members,

I am designing a system that includes a caching layer to hold tens of Gigs of objects (many small objects), with basic caching management requirements (time based eviction, LRU). I understand that having it on-heap will impact the GC and thats why I am looking for off-heap, off-process solutions.

My options is either use some external system over network (memcached) or use some in-process caching solution, which lead me to DirectMemory.

The system should be production in few months time.

So my question is, is the project mature enough to be used in production system (or will it be by that time) ? What other solutions use DirectMemory ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Status and readiness of Apache DirectMemory

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dima, we are not "enterprise ready" for sure and not yet planning a
release in a short time frame, but your use case seems to fit well for DM.
I would suggest to build your service against an abstraction layer with
implementations on both DM and me cached (it should be easy enough) to
further evaluate performance and stability. It would be quite interesting
to see a benchmark on this.

Let me know if you need further help.

Ciao,