Posted to dev@falcon.apache.org by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com> on 2014/10/14 18:38:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduation

Dear All,
    Over the course of last 19 months Falcon project has come a long way and has added many features, grown the developer and user base, added more committers, made releases and has a robust road map. In the course hopefully we have imbibed the "Apache Way" in every thing we do and have established a sustainable project with a vibrant community. I would like to hear from fellow Falcon developers and users on what they feel and would like to hear their thoughts on our readiness to graduate to a top level project.

@Mentors, please do chime in and share your views.

Here are some stats to savor.

Jiras Created/Resolved in the last 15 months (total 804 as of Oct 14)

Month            Created    Resolved
--------------  --------    --------
June 2013        10          5
July 2013        31         22
August 2013      34         19
September 2013   34         18
October 2013     26         20
November 2013    55         41
December 2013    27          9
January 2014     40         26
February 2014    42         22
March 2014       57         50
April 2014       41         18
May 2014         32         36
June 2014        43         12
July 2014        62         16
August 2014      91         75
September 2014  114         74
October 2014     37         29

Month-wise mailing list activity since incubation
Month     Mails
--------  -----
Oct 2014   387
Sep 2014  1101
Aug 2014   862
Jul 2014   445
Jun 2014   270
May 2014   286
Apr 2014   423
Mar 2014   599
Feb 2014   344
Jan 2014   542
Dec 2013   204
Nov 2013   478
Oct 2013   251
Sep 2013   260
Aug 2013   309
Jul 2013   360
Jun 2013    89
May 2013    94

Users on the dev mailing list 104

Releases & Committer addition:
    •    2014-09-22: Released 0.5-incubating
    •    2014-08-28: Ruslan Ostafiychuk added as a committer
    •    2014-08-25: Raghav Kumar Gautam added as a committer
    •    2014-07-04: Jean-Baptiste Onofre added as a committer
    •    2014-03-06: Suhas Vasu added as a committer
    •    2014-03-06: Arpit Gupta added as a committer
    •    2014-02-02: Released 0.4-incubating
    •    2013-09-11: Released 0.3-incuabting
    •    2013-04-02. Apache Falcon enters incubation.

Regards
Srikanth Sundarrajan

RE: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Shaik,
    We have two releases lined up as discussed in the bi-weekly sync up thread (one for 0.6 with new features and 0.5.1 hardened release on the 0.5 line), but we can do them post graduation as well and I am assuming they are not pre-requisites for graduation.

Regards
Srikanth Sundarrajan

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Idris Ali <ps...@gmail.com>.
Great, +1.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Srikanth,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Suhas Vasu <su...@inmobi.com>.
+1.
Falcon with the all features added till now provides a better & concise way
of looking at data & its management. I feel its ready.

Regards,
Suhas V

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Samarth Gupta <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

--Samarth

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Shwetha GS <sh...@inmobi.com>.
+1

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>     Over the course of last 19 months Falcon project has come a long way
> and has added many features, grown the developer and user base, added more
> committers, made releases and has a robust road map. In the course
> hopefully we have imbibed the "Apache Way" in every thing we do and have
> established a sustainable project with a vibrant community. I would like to
> hear from fellow Falcon developers and users on what they feel and would
> like to hear their thoughts on our readiness to graduate to a top level
> project.
>
> @Mentors, please do chime in and share your views.
>
> Here are some stats to savor.
>
> Jiras Created/Resolved in the last 15 months (total 804 as of Oct 14)
>
> Month            Created    Resolved
> --------------  --------    --------
> June 2013        10          5
> July 2013        31         22
> August 2013      34         19
> September 2013   34         18
> October 2013     26         20
> November 2013    55         41
> December 2013    27          9
> January 2014     40         26
> February 2014    42         22
> March 2014       57         50
> April 2014       41         18
> May 2014         32         36
> June 2014        43         12
> July 2014        62         16
> August 2014      91         75
> September 2014  114         74
> October 2014     37         29
>
> Month-wise mailing list activity since incubation
> Month     Mails
> --------  -----
> Oct 2014   387
> Sep 2014  1101
> Aug 2014   862
> Jul 2014   445
> Jun 2014   270
> May 2014   286
> Apr 2014   423
> Mar 2014   599
> Feb 2014   344
> Jan 2014   542
> Dec 2013   204
> Nov 2013   478
> Oct 2013   251
> Sep 2013   260
> Aug 2013   309
> Jul 2013   360
> Jun 2013    89
> May 2013    94
>
> Users on the dev mailing list 104
>
> Releases & Committer addition:
>     •    2014-09-22: Released 0.5-incubating
>     •    2014-08-28: Ruslan Ostafiychuk added as a committer
>     •    2014-08-25: Raghav Kumar Gautam added as a committer
>     •    2014-07-04: Jean-Baptiste Onofre added as a committer
>     •    2014-03-06: Suhas Vasu added as a committer
>     •    2014-03-06: Arpit Gupta added as a committer
>     •    2014-02-02: Released 0.4-incubating
>     •    2013-09-11: Released 0.3-incuabting
>     •    2013-04-02. Apache Falcon enters incubation.
>
> Regards
> Srikanth Sundarrajan

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Siva P Thumma <si...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
OK, let me submit on the project first.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Srikanth

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

RE: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.
This is a very good thing and I'm a big +1 to this. We have made a lot of
strides in adding a lot of features, growing the community, adding more
diverse committers over the last 18 months. Also, in terms of the maturity
of the product for usage in real world, we have added security, a usable
dashboard, more documentation, etc.

Thanks for taking time to call a vote.

Venkatesh

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry