Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2005/11/30 15:25:47 UTC

Downloads page (Was: Subversion 1.3.0 Release Candidate 4 released.)

I was wondering.  Would it make more sense for us to:

  * actually version control a /trunk/www/downloads/ directory

  * version control a /trunk/www/downloads/index.html file in which
    links to individual downloads and checksums and stuff lived, as
    well as a link to the project_packages.html file

  * make the left-nav "Downloads" item point to downloads/index.html.

  * elsewhere (Documents & Files area, project_pages.html page, etc.)
    point folks to .../downloads/index.html when looking for source
    releases.

It pains me that we have all these releases under a downloads/
subdirectory, but Location bar hackers like myself can't "go up a
directory level" and get any useful information.

Thoughts?

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: Downloads page (Was: Subversion 1.3.0 Release Candidate 4 released.)

Posted by Alan Barrett <ap...@cequrux.com>.
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Oh, I think you misunderstood me.  I don't want to actually version the
> release tarballs -- just the directory that contains them on the
> website.

It would be good if people who mirror the repository do not find that
their mirror gets bloated by many large binary tarballs.  So, I suggest
version control for the index.html and similar stuff, but not for the
tarballs.

--apb (Alan Barrett)

Re: Downloads page (Was: Subversion 1.3.0 Release Candidate 4 released.)

Posted by David James <ja...@cs.toronto.edu>.
On 11/30/05, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 16:50 +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
>
> > From a gentoo (read source distro) perspective, it is important that files
> > don't change and have their version numbers in the filename.
>
> Oh, I think you misunderstood me.  I don't want to actually version the
> release tarballs -- just the directory that contains them on the
> website.  And we can even use full URLs in
> the /trunk/www/download/index.html instead of relative ones so that
> folks browsing that file in their tarball explosing or working copy can
> still use the links to the tarballs.
Sounds fabulous, then. +1

Cheers,

David

--
David James -- http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: Downloads page (Was: Subversion 1.3.0 Release Candidate 4 released.)

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Paul de Vrieze <pa...@gentoo.org>.
On Wednesday 30 November 2005 16:25, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> I was wondering.  Would it make more sense for us to:
>
>   * actually version control a /trunk/www/downloads/ directory
>
>   * version control a /trunk/www/downloads/index.html file in which
>     links to individual downloads and checksums and stuff lived, as
>     well as a link to the project_packages.html file
>
>   * make the left-nav "Downloads" item point to downloads/index.html.
>
>   * elsewhere (Documents & Files area, project_pages.html page, etc.)
>     point folks to .../downloads/index.html when looking for source
>     releases.
>
> It pains me that we have all these releases under a downloads/
> subdirectory, but Location bar hackers like myself can't "go up a
> directory level" and get any useful information.
>
> Thoughts?

From a gentoo (read source distro) perspective, it is important that files
don't change and have their version numbers in the filename. Version
controlling a downloads directory would give the impression that it is ok
to replace released tarballs by new ones. This is extremely awkward from
a gentoo position as each package expects and checks a fixed tarball. Of
course the current case where a the released tarball is wrong can be
fixed, as what is currently is called subversion-1.3.0-rc4.tar.bz2 is
unuseable.

Further an index file makes sense to up.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer