Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/08/15 15:26:49 UTC

[vote] Declare r681495 as M7

Hi everyone,

We have completed a testing cycle for r681495 and evaluated the results [1].

There are some test failures, but most of them are either intermittent
or were also failing in M6.  However if anyone thinks any of these
test failures are blockers and has not yet had a chance to say, please
speak up now.

Otherwise, shall we declare r681495 as M7?

Thanks,

Sian

[1] http://harmony.markmail.org/message/cpfcnslv53doueeg?q=

--
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: [vote] Declare r681495 as M7

Posted by Sean Qiu <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Best Regards
Sean, Xiao Xia Qiu

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
I'm just starting to catch up on e-mails after a long holiday <g> so
won't vote on this release as I've not had a chance to check it
thoroughly (and don't want to hold things up doing so now).

I can help to push the release out to mirrors / website etc. once people
are happy with it.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
I suspect that the PermissionCollectionTest failure began with this
commit - http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=612718. As of
this commit, SimpleTimeZone began delegating to ICU's TimeZone
classes, which end up loading the class ICUDebug [1], which performs a
System.getProperty("java.version") inline without catching a
SecurityException.

It looks like we need to add a privileged block around this bit of code.

[1] http://source.icu-project.org/repos/icu/icu4j/tags/release-3-8-1/src/com/ibm/icu/impl/ICUDebug.java

Posted by chunrong lai <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by chunrong lai <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks Mark.  I've just reproduced this on my Windows machine by
switching to Sun's Java 6.  It's happening because they've changed the
javap format in Java 6 to have some extra blank lines in.

Nathan - I can send you a patch that ignores blank lines in the test
if you would like to confirm this, or I can check it in.

I will try to rewrite these tests to be a bit more robust at some
point before the next milestone because we've had a couple of
situations now where differences in javap output or not having javap
available have caused the tests to fail.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 20/08/2008, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> In message <3b...@mail.gmail.com>,
> "Nathan Beyer" writes:
> >
> > nathan:~$ update-alternatives --display javap
> > javap - status is auto.
> >  link currently points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javap
> > /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javap - priority 63
> >  slave javap.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/man/man1/javap.1.gz
> > Current `best' version is /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javap.
>
> Hopefully Sian will provide a quick fix for this common case.  In the
> meantime, what is you position on M7?  Do you think M7 needs a fix for
> this issue?  Are there other must-fix issues that you consider blockers?
>
> I would not be unhappy to release r681495 as M7 since these are test
> issues rather than code issues and we have released with failures due
> to bad tests before.  So I vote +1 on this thread.
>
> Of course, if Sian can provide a prompt fix for this test issue then she
> has my +1 to commit it and we can start another vote.

Thanks Mark - I've checked in a fix for the two tests at r687281.

> > Perhaps using 'javap' isn't the most stable/portable approach. Can we
> > use one of the bytecode libraries we have already and run the class
> > files through that?
>
> I'm sure Sian is considering other options for M8. ;-)

Yes - I think I said this yesterday too.  I personally don't think
it's worth holding up M7 for since it's a test issue rather than a
code issue, but I will do it if other people think it's important for
M7.

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
+1 from me too

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
nathan:~$ update-alternatives --display javap
javap - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javap
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javap - priority 63
 slave javap.1.gz: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/man/man1/javap.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javap.

Perhaps using 'javap' isn't the most stable/portable approach. Can we
use one of the bytecode libraries we have already and run the class
files through that?

-Nathan

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.