Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/08/16 20:06:14 UTC

[DRAFT] AOO 3.4.1 Release Announcement for Review

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=announcing_apache_openoffice_3_4

Comments are welcome.

Some updates I know we'll need are:

1) The 11 million downloads claim will go to 12 or 13 depending on
when we release

2) The defect fix count should be updated.  Does anyone have an
accurate count?  I think we want to count only net bugs fixed compared
to AOO 3.4.0, not bugs that we both introduced and fixed in AOO 3.4.1.

Perhaps we can take comments for a day or so, and I'll update to
reflect feedback.  At that point volunteers might prepare
translations.   Any translations we have at release time I can link to
from the blog post.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: [DRAFT] AOO 3.4.1 Release Announcement for Review

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 August 2012 19:06, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=announcing_apache_openoffice_3_4
>
> Comments are welcome.

I found

"Support for Windows XP-Windows 8 (32-bit)"

a bit difficult to read at first. Perhaps put

"Support for Windows from XP up to Windows 8 (32-bit)"

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
If I log in with my Roller account, I can see the preview.

It appears that the URL is actually
<https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=announcing_apache_openoffice_3_41>.

 - Dennis

PS: Screen with empty content is what appears any time you refer to a post in preview that does not actually exist [;<).

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 16, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 08/16/2012 08:06 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=announcing_apache_openoffice_3_4
>>
>> Comments are welcome.
>>
>> Some updates I know we'll need are:
>>
>> 1) The 11 million downloads claim will go to 12 or 13 depending on
>> when we release
>>
>> 2) The defect fix count should be updated.  Does anyone have an
>> accurate count?  I think we want to count only net bugs fixed compared
>> to AOO 3.4.0, not bugs that we both introduced and fixed in AOO 3.4.1.
>>
>> Perhaps we can take comments for a day or so, and I'll update to
>> reflect feedback.  At that point volunteers might prepare
>> translations.   Any translations we have at release time I can link to
>> from the blog post.
>
> I've only 2 points:
>
> 1.
> "OpenOffice 3.4.1 can be downloaded now from http://www.openoffice.org or by going to the the Help/Check for Updates dialog within OpenOffice."

In addition we know that the Check for Updates only works for version >= 3.2 (correct?)

> Wouldn't it be better to change the link directly to the download section (http://www.openoffice.org/download/)? Especially as the one-click-download on our starting portal page is no longer available. So, the user has to come to ".../download/index.html" anyway.
>
> 2.
> "We are targeting January 2013 for Apache OpenOffice 3.5.0."
>
> I'm surprised to see already a date for 3.5.0. Have I missed a thread with this? Even when, I would prefer to read a timeframe like "... first quarter of 2013" or if you really want "... beginning of first quarter of 2013" ...".
>
> Otherwise I fear that we could again have a problem to keep the release date.
>
> My 2 ct.
>
> Otherwise really good text. :-)

Regards,
Dave

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/8/16 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=announcing_apache_openoffice_3_4
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Some updates I know we'll need are:
>
> 1) The 11 million downloads claim will go to 12 or 13 depending on
> when we release
>
> 2) The defect fix count should be updated.  Does anyone have an
> accurate count?  I think we want to count only net bugs fixed compared
> to AOO 3.4.0, not bugs that we both introduced and fixed in AOO 3.4.1.
>
> Perhaps we can take comments for a day or so, and I'll update to
> reflect feedback.  At that point volunteers might prepare
> translations.   Any translations we have at release time I can link to
> from the blog post.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

There is now on staging on the ES site a translation for the release
announcement, ready to be published. I can edit it later if changes
are made on the original.

Regards
Ricardo

Re: [DRAFT] AOO 3.4.1 Release Announcement for Review

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 8/16/12 11:43 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 08/16/2012 12:43 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org
>> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>>

>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=announcing_apache_openoffice_3_4
>>

>>     Comments are welcome.
>>
>>     Some updates I know we'll need are:
>>
>>     1) The 11 million downloads claim will go to 12 or 13 depending on
>>     when we release
>>
>>     2) The defect fix count should be updated.  Does anyone have an
>>     accurate count?  I think we want to count only net bugs fixed
>> compared
>>     to AOO 3.4.0, not bugs that we both introduced and fixed in AOO
>> 3.4.1.
>>

>> from  Juergen's info in the [VOTE] call..
>>
>>   1) 71 issues are fixed and a detailed list can be watched under
>> http://s.apache.org/Huv.
>
> OK, this search produces 69, not 71 bugs..

the query is correct, my mistake that I will explain later

Juergen

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=announcing_apache_openoffice_3_4
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Some updates I know we'll need are:
>
> 1) The 11 million downloads claim will go to 12 or 13 depending on
> when we release

I've updated to 12 million, which we hit yesterday.  Hopefully we're
release before we hit 13.

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/

-Rob