Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Marek Wiewiorka <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/22 16:39:51 UTC

lower&upperBound not working/spark 1/3

Hi All - I try to use the new SQLContext API for populating DataFrame from
jdbc data source.
like this:

val jdbcDF = sqlContext.jdbc(url =
"jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5430/dbname?user=user&password=111", table =
"se_staging.exp_table3" ,columnName="cs_id",lowerBound=1 ,upperBound =
10000, numPartitions=12 )

No matter how I set lower and upper bounds I always get all the rows from
my table.
The API is marked as experimental so I assume there might by some bugs in
it but
did anybody come across a similar issue?

Thanks!
Marek

Re: lower&upperBound not working/spark 1/3

Posted by "alessandro.andrioni" <al...@dafiti.com.br>.
If I'm reading this comment[1] correctly, this is expected behavior: the
lower and upper bounds are used to make the partitioning more efficient, not
to limit the data returned.

>/**
> * Given a partitioning schematic (a column of integral type, a number of
> * partitions, and upper and lower bounds on the column's value), generate
> * WHERE clauses for each partition so that each row in the table appears
> * exactly once.  The parameters minValue and maxValue are advisory in that
> * incorrect values may cause the partitioning to be poor, but no data
> * will fail to be represented.
> */

I also got bit by this recently.

[1]: