Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/01/31 01:46:59 UTC

[Math] Java 8?

Hi.

Any objection to requiring Java 8 for building "Commons Math"?

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Java 8?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:15:33 -0600, Matt Sicker wrote:
> On 30 January 2018 at 20:08, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:00:13 -0600, Matt Sicker wrote:
>>
>>> Which Commons Math?
>>>

>> I'm not sure I understand the question; are there more
>> than one "Commons Math"?
>> Perhaps you mean "which branch?"; then "master" and (all
>> new feature branches) would be the answer.
>>

> Yes, branch, but also the split off modules (e.g., numbers,
> statistics,
> rng).

I was asking about the (defunct) "Commons Math", as it serves
as the main testing ground for split off components, and new
ones ("Statistics", "Geometry") are likely to make sense,
community-wise, if they allow usage of modern Java.

"Commons RNG" will probably remain at Java 6 (exception made
for module "commons-rng-examples" that will allow anything
required to build new examples).

For "Numbers", it is not obvious: some utilities would require
Java 8+, while others could be considered feature-complete,
not necessitating more than Java 7.
I was thinking of deciding on a module basis.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Java 8?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Math] Java 8?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:00:13 -0600, Matt Sicker wrote:
> Which Commons Math?

I'm not sure I understand the question; are there more
than one "Commons Math"?
Perhaps you mean "which branch?"; then "master" and (all
new feature branches) would be the answer.

> None from me, though.

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Java 8?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Which Commons Math? None from me, though.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Math] Java 8?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 30, 2018 18:47, "Gilles" <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

Hi.

Any objection to requiring Java 8 for building "Commons Math"?

Go for it.

Gary

Regards,
Gilles