Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Merkulovich <mm...@hotmail.com> on 2005/02/01 08:14:18 UTC

Slow HTTP upload of POST content

We are experiencing a very strange problem with HTTP uploads on tomcat5.
When uploading large files from IE over the network, upload speed is capped
at about 70kbytes/sec even though the network allows for much higher speeds.
Neither CPU nor disk access appears to be the bottleneck. When using FireFox
browser, upload speed is about 4000kbytes/sec. When using IE from the server
through loopback adapter, speed is 7000kbytes/sec.

This problem is happening on 2 separate servers. One is a win 2000 box with
a freshly installed OS. The other one is a brand new windows server 2003
enterprise edition.

I tried apache fileupload library and o'reilly MultipartRequest. I also
tried reading directly from InputStream all to the same effect.

There is one machine which runs file-for-file identical tomcat installation
under the same version of java. When accessing that machine with IE from
other boxes, uploads go fast.

I cannot figure out what's different between the machine on which it works
and the two on which it doesn't. Any ideas?

-- Mike

Re: Slow HTTP upload of POST content

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Search the archives. There is a thread on this and the cause.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listName=tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

Doug