Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andre Groeneveld <an...@isservices.co.za> on 2006/02/28 14:39:33 UTC

Creating Booklets

Hi all,

I need to print a document in Booklet style, and in duplex. So it will
be 2 A5 pages on 1 side of an A4 landscape, and the same on the other
side. The problem is that I don't know how many pages there will be, and
I don't know when the end of the page is reached. As I understand so
far, XSL creates the document, but at that stage the page number is
unknown. Is there a way that you can refer back to a previous area that
you have already created, and insert a block or table there, or is there
a way of creating the whole document, and then somehow printing it in a
booklet format, with the last page being on the left hand side on the
first page, and the first page being on the right hand side of the first
page, and so on? The alternative route that I can follow is by creating
each page on an A5 separately as a TIFF image or something and then
importing it as an image into a landscape A4, if that is the only way
that ill be able to do it, is there a way of creating each page in one
document as a new image instead of a new page, and if not, is there a
way of importing a multiple page document into a document, and
specifying which page to use?

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are really helpful.

Confidentiality Caution and Disclaimer

This message and/or any attachment thereto ("the message")
contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the recipient named above.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please erase it permanently once you have notified the
sender, per return e-mail, that you have received the
message in error.
Unless the sender is duly authorised by either the Telesure
Group, or any of its subsidiary companies or I.S Services
("the Group") to send this message and unless the content
of this message is also duly authorised by the Group, any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and the Group will not accept liability therefore,
nor for any consequential damage arising therefrom.
Any recipient of an unacceptable communication, a chain
letter or offensive material of any nature is requested
to report it to postmaster@isservices.co.za.

Re: Creating Booklets

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
The general term for what you want to do is "imposition" [1]. This is
usually a step that is done after rendering a document, i.e. after FOP
has done its work. There are many tools out there that should help you
do this. The choice of the tool depends on the output format you work
with (PDF, PS etc.). XSL-FO or FOP currently can't help you with this
step. However, with the addition of the "intermediate format" last month,
additional functionality could easily be added to FOP to perform
imposition (n-up, booklets etc). However, this isn't implemented, yet.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition

On 28.02.2006 14:39:33 Andre Groeneveld wrote:
> I need to print a document in Booklet style, and in duplex. So it will
> be 2 A5 pages on 1 side of an A4 landscape, and the same on the other
> side. The problem is that I don't know how many pages there will be, and
> I don't know when the end of the page is reached. As I understand so
> far, XSL creates the document, but at that stage the page number is
> unknown. Is there a way that you can refer back to a previous area that
> you have already created, and insert a block or table there, or is there
> a way of creating the whole document, and then somehow printing it in a
> booklet format, with the last page being on the left hand side on the
> first page, and the first page being on the right hand side of the first
> page, and so on? The alternative route that I can follow is by creating
> each page on an A5 separately as a TIFF image or something and then
> importing it as an image into a landscape A4, if that is the only way
> that ill be able to do it, is there a way of creating each page in one
> document as a new image instead of a new page, and if not, is there a
> way of importing a multiple page document into a document, and
> specifying which page to use?

Jeremias Maerki