Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/15 15:41:46 UTC

[GSoC] JMX MC progress update

Hi everyone,

I have moved all my work so far on the JMX management console onto
trunk now. All major new sections of the UI for existing functionality
are in place now and largely complete, and i have just added an
auto-refresh feature and operation status reporting, so its ready for
a bit of playing with.

The layout is pretty complete, although there will be some small
changes: eg when additional functionality is added to the Queue mbean
(copy and delete arbitrary messages, and specifying an interval for
the message list after it is expanded to cope with Long values), and
information from the imminent new 'system information' mbean is
exposed. Another change will be expanding more of the
tables/operations to allow multiple selection. There were some dialog
positioning issues on Windows that i still need to look into.

You can build it for a look using the instructions below, or if you
are not so inclined you can find some screenshots I made earlier for
Aidan here:
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/gsoc/screenshots_15july2009/

Robbie

=======================

You can use the console on Windows, Linux (32 or 64bit), and Mac OS X
(not tested as yet). You can get the package by using the ant
'release-bin' target from qpid/java/ which will build the console
releases in qpid/java/management/eclipse-plugin/release/

NOTE:
SSL is enabled by default on the broker JMX connection, using a
self-signed cert in its keystore. As a result you have to supply the
matching SSL truststore to the console for it to connect.
Alternatively, you can just disable the SSL before launching the
broker by using the option in <management> <ssl> in
qpid/java/build/etc/config.xml to toggle it off.

If you do want to use the SSL, you can supply the necessary details in
the qpidmc.ini configuration file in the root of the console release
(or buried somewhere within the .app package for OS X), which has a
pre-configured example. Uncomment and change the example to the values
below to match the test keystore in the repository:
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=<your.checkout.location>/qpid/java/test-profiles/test_resources/ssl/certstore.jks
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=password

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [GSoC] JMX MC progress update

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marnie,

Just as a further update, ive made the mentioned updates to the queue
mbean and updated the console accordingly, which can be seen in the
screenshot below. When connected to a supporting broker the console
will now offer delete and copy methods as well as the previous move.
Additionally, for supporting brokers the position of the message on
the queue will now be shown (previously it was impossible to tell the
position of a message on the queue from the information given in the
result). I also removed the irrelevant Type folders for the
Configuration, Logging, and User Management mbeans to make the
navigation tree look a little cleaner.

http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/gsoc/screenshots_21july2009/queue.png

Robbie

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.