Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jean Morissette <je...@videotron.ca> on 2005/01/17 21:05:00 UTC

A Platform for Highly Concurrent Services

Hi,
I actually contribute to the development of Sandstorm, a Staged
Event-Driven Architecture (SEDA) based high-performance platform for
services http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/

Our platform is like an operating system for services; it manage
ressource dynamically and offer optimal performance.

By exemple, we have done a http server prototype that is much more
performant than the Apache server!

We are actually developping many interesting features and I would be
happy if some developpers would like to contribute to the project.
Please, contact me if you are interested.

Best regards,
-Jean

Re: A Platform for Highly Concurrent Services

Posted by John Smith <cm...@acedsl.com>.
 The idea of a 'staged event-driven architecture' could certainly sound
'interesting' to some people not bussy enough, but all I read were jingles
and christmas is over ;-)

 Your benchmanrks on
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/talks/seda-sosp01-talk.pdf

 Might be pretty much flatten out when you offer all the features and
compatible stuff that apache does

 Also you can simply code around this idea or what I read from what is says
to me. What tells you, for example, the OS itslef with enough RAM is not
caching common and recurrent 'events' in memory anyway?

 These stats might be pretty contrived in that sense:
 ._ "Existing OS designs do not provide graceful management of load" . . .
 ._ "Adopt a structured approach to event-driven concurrency" . . .

 IMHO, these ideas belong more in an application server. Probably you will
find more adepts among the Geronimo project. Good news is that they have
design Geronimo with JMX in mind, so maybe plugging in these ideas will be
pretty easy

Re: [OT] A Platform for Highly Concurrent Services

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:05:00PM -0500, Jean Morissette wrote:
: I actually contribute to the development of Sandstorm, a Staged
: Event-Driven Architecture (SEDA) based high-performance platform for
: services http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/

Hello,

It's considered a list courtesy to mark messages as "off-topic"
(prepend the subject with "[OT]") if it has little or no relation to
Tomcat.

I've updated your subject accordingly.
-QM

--