Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by martin langhoff <ma...@scim.net> on 2000/10/17 18:32:20 UTC

[OT]logging Apache processes w/rotatelogs

hi,

	is anyone using rotatelogs ?

	I have a bunch of virtualdomains, each with its own, separate log. Then
I'm running three different apache binaries (that resulting in a whole
lot of daemons). Now I'm trying to use rotatelogs, and I find the pipes
are kept open, so I have a *lot* of rotatelogs processes running.

	A *LOT* of them, believe me.

	They don't seem to hurt the load averages nor the memory, but I wonder
if there might be any problem running so many of them, like, erm,
hitting a max-processes count?

martin

Re: [OT]logging Apache processes w/rotatelogs

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
"Alexander Farber (EED)" <ee...@eed.ericsson.se> writes:

> David Hodgkinson wrote:
> > There are plenty of counter examples floating around. Mostly involving
> > moving log files away then doing a graceful restart.
>
> Maybe this is useful:
> http://www.modperl.com/perl_conference/cool_tricks/handout.html

Certianly more useful than my response...thanks.

--
Dave Hodgkinson,                             http://www.hodgkinson.org
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com

Re: [OT]logging Apache processes w/rotatelogs

Posted by "Alexander Farber (EED)" <ee...@eed.ericsson.se>.

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
martin langhoff <ma...@scim.net> writes:

> 	They don't seem to hurt the load averages nor the memory, but I wonder
> if there might be any problem running so many of them, like, erm,
> hitting a max-processes count?

Yes.