Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Anand Murali <an...@yahoo.com> on 2014/01/20 08:10:04 UTC

Hadoop 1.2.1 or 2.2.0 on Windows - XP-SP2 Not using Cygwin

Dear All:

I have been on a discovery cum learning process for the last 2 months, trying to install and use the above Hadoop packages using Cygwin on the Windows XP platform, after reading a text book (Hadoop in action - Chuck Lam), where he has suggested using Cygwin to work with a Unix like environment.

Much to my dismay, I have come across many installation and runtime problems with both Cygwin and Hadoop and things have been very unstable. I posted this issue on the issue tracker website and was told that Cygwin is not supported on both Hadoop releases, however, I could build for a windows environment. I am not sure of how it is done and need assistance and advise. I shall be thankful for a response and direction. Look forward to an early reply.

Thanks,

 Anand Murali
11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore
Chennai - 600 004, India
Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)

Re: Hadoop 1.2.1 or 2.2.0 on Windows - XP-SP2 Not using Cygwin

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Anand,

Instructions to build Hadoop 2.2 on Windows are at
https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hadoop2OnWindows

Chuck Lam's book is great but out of date wrt Windows support. Windows XP
is not a supported platform. Windows Server 2008 or later is recommended
and Windows Vista is also likely to work.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop 1.2.1 or 2.2.0 on Windows - XP-SP2 Not using Cygwin

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Anand,

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Anand,