Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Chris Merrill <ch...@webperformance.com> on 2011/03/18 15:12:42 UTC

Wicket, GAE and Sessions

I'm trying to get a Wicket app working in GAE.  I had the basics working. I've read
and followed:
  http://www.danwalmsley.com/2009/04/08/apache-wicket-on-google-app-engine-for-java/
so I have enabled sessions, turned off resource polling and overridden newSessionStore()
to return a new HttpSessionStore.  I'm deploying in Deployment mode.

I had some basic pages working, but now I am getting a serialization error when the session
is serialized - the error is that my application class is not serializable.  I was under
the impression that the Application should not be serialized into the session, so I
have proceeded to look for any places I have inadvertantly referenced the application
in something in the session object.  That was easy, because my session, which extends
AuthenticatedWebSession, only has one member - a String. So next I searched for all
usages of my Application class - and found none that are storing a reference in a
member variable. I was looking specifically in pages, but my search covered all my
classes.  Are there other things I might do to cause an indirect reference to the
Application in a page?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I've also reviewed the GAE threads here, as well as this:
  http://thoughts.inphina.com/2010/10/20/managing-wicket-serialization-problem-on-google-app-engine/
but that doesn't seem to be the same serialization problem I'm having (though it appears
I'll likely encounter it later).

I've gone down a number of paths, but now feel like I'm just flailing around.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them!

TIA
Chris

chris@webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions

Posted by Chris Merrill <ch...@webperformance.com>.
On 3/18/2011 12:52 PM, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1082822
>
>  <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1082822>freshly fixed

Ahhh...good timing...I was thinking if I should ask if this could be a bug in Auth-Roles...

On 3/18/2011 12:59 PM, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> yes, a stateful page would automatically call session.dirty() to mark
> it for replication. if your pages are stateless you have to do this
> bookkeeping on the session yourself.

Thanks, I now know what I didn't know  :>

And a big thanks to both of you and all other Wicket contributors.  Wicket is such
a joy to work with!  We are starting to embrace it here, so I hope we're able to
contribute back some day.

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Chris Merrill <ch...@webperformance.com>wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
> >> I might have answered my question. I did some refactoring and took out
> some code from my
> >> base page class that was calling getApplication(). I didn't need it
> anyway, and now I am
> >> not seeing the serialization exception that references my application
> class. It is not clear
> >> to me how this caused the problem, as I was not storing the reference -
> just calling into
> >> an application method from my page constructor.   :(
> >>

> >> However, I'm now faced with another problem - which is that my session
> does not appear
> >> to be serializing the member fields.  My session class, which extends
> AuthenticatedWebSession
> >> and implements serializable (and defines serialVersionUID) has one
> member variable which
> >> is a string. I set that field when the user authenticates, via
> AuthenticatedWebSession.
> >> authenticate() but when the next page goes to get the field, it is null.
>  My authenticate()
> >> method is returning true to indicate a successful authentication, but
> other pages still see
> >> the session as not authenticated : AuthenticatedWebSession.isSignedIn()
> == false
> >> So it doesn't appear to be just my members, but AuthenticatedWebSession
> as well.
> >>
> >> Note that all of this works fine in the GAE development environment
> (i.e. locally) but
> >> not when deployed to GAE.
> >>
> >> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
> >> Chris

> working. I've read
> >>>
> http://www.danwalmsley.com/2009/04/08/apache-wicket-on-google-app-engine-for-java/
> newSessionStore()

> error when the session
> serializable.  I was under
> session, so I
> the application
> which extends
> searched for all
> reference in a
> covered all my
> reference to the

> http://thoughts.inphina.com/2010/10/20/managing-wicket-serialization-problem-on-google-app-engine/
> (though it appears

> around.

> >> --
> -
> >> Chris Merrill                           |  Web Performance, Inc.
> >> chris@webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
> >> 919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601
> >>
> >> Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -
> Chris Merrill                           |  Web Performance, Inc.
> chris@webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
> 919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601
>
> Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions

Posted by Chris Merrill <ch...@webperformance.com>.

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions

Posted by Chris Merrill <ch...@webperformance.com>.

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Per,

Did you solve your problems with HttpSessionDataStore ?
Recently I looked more in this area and I'm almost convinced that its
#isReplicated() should return false.
Just need a reason to change it, like ticket in our Jira from someone who
actually uses this data store.

My current understanding is that IDataStore#isReplicated() should return
true if the replication is made by itself.
In the case of HttpSessionDataStore the replication is done by the web
container so it should return false.

Re: Wicket, GAE and Sessions