Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org> on 2003/06/02 17:58:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Invalid Logging - [error] Optional ...

Please allow me to repost my question/comment as a statement.

These -

[Sun Jun 01 21:06:22 2003] [error] Optional hook test said: GET /
HTTP/1.1
[Sun Jun 01 21:06:22 2003] [error] Optional function test said: GET /
HTTP/1.1

Should NOT be logged as errors.  If anything they are [info] level
results...

Other than that Apache 2.0.46 is KA and TN  =)

-Sx-

http://InSecurity.org/
_Sx____________________
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

               \|/ ____ \|/
               "@'/ .. \`@"
               /_| \__/ |_\
                  \__U_/

Re: [users@httpd] Invalid Logging - [error] Optional ...

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, WC -Sx- Jones wrote:

> >> [Sun Jun 01 21:06:22 2003] [error] Optional function test said: GET /
> >> HTTP/1.1
> >>
> >> Should NOT be logged as errors.  If anything they are [info] level
> >> results...
> >
> > Since this is the second time I have seen this mentioned, I'm getting
> > curious. This print is in the file
> > modules/test/mod_optional_fn_export.c
> > which I would not expect to be built in by default. Are you running
> > some
> > binary distribution of Apache, and, if so, which one?
>

> No, I built it :/  What I haven't been able to figure out is why is it
> considered an error?

Well my suspicion is that it was put in as a debug print during
development, and got left in by default. I don't expect it's anything to
be concerned about, but I'm looking into it. Does this happen in any
particular circumstances? Or just all the time? Or when?

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go

Re: [users@httpd] Invalid Logging - [error] Optional ...

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 06:21  AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, WC -Sx- Jones wrote:

What purpose does it serve?

> None. It's a test module. In the modules/test directory. It is for
> testing purposes only. That's why I'm rather surprised that people have
> built it into their server.

Not "people" - only me.  Real people don't test out "test"
modules  =)   Oh well, I need to start over on Apache2 and rebuild
anyways as I have mod_perl2 installed bass-ackwards...

Hey, at least I didn't enable the "example" module
(like the docs have warned about now - what - 7 years?)

-Sx-  :)

Re: [users@httpd] Invalid Logging - [error] Optional ...

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

> near as my code reading has produced - all that C routine does is print
>
> ... [error] Optional function ...
>

> What purpose does it serve?

None. It's a test module. In the modules/test directory. It is for
testing purposes only. That's why I'm rather surprised that people have
built it into their server.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI
http://www.ApacheAdmin.com/

Re: [users@httpd] Invalid Logging - [error] Optional ...

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
> No, I built it :/  What I haven't been able to figure out is why is it
> considered an error?

I ran across a mention of it at -

http://lxr.webperf.org/source.cgi/modules/test/mod_optional_fn_export.c

Cheers;
-Sx-  :)

Re: [users@httpd] Invalid Logging - [error] Optional ...

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
>> [Sun Jun 01 21:06:22 2003] [error] Optional function test said: GET /
>> HTTP/1.1
>>
>> Should NOT be logged as errors.  If anything they are [info] level
>> results...
>
> Since this is the second time I have seen this mentioned, I'm getting
> curious. This print is in the file
> modules/test/mod_optional_fn_export.c
> which I would not expect to be built in by default. Are you running
> some
> binary distribution of Apache, and, if so, which one?

No, I built it :/  What I haven't been able to figure out is why is it
considered an error?

Thx/Sx

Re: [users@httpd] Invalid Logging - [error] Optional ...

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, WC -Sx- Jones wrote:

> Please allow me to repost my question/comment as a statement.
>
> These -
>
> [Sun Jun 01 21:06:22 2003] [error] Optional hook test said: GET /
> HTTP/1.1
> [Sun Jun 01 21:06:22 2003] [error] Optional function test said: GET /
> HTTP/1.1
>
> Should NOT be logged as errors.  If anything they are [info] level
> results...

Since this is the second time I have seen this mentioned, I'm getting
curious. This print is in the file modules/test/mod_optional_fn_export.c
which I would not expect to be built in by default. Are you running some
binary distribution of Apache, and, if so, which one?

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings