Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2013/02/06 16:33:39 UTC

[VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC4 AND Composite Repository

Hi,

the fourth release candidate of the sandbox project Apache UIMA
TextMarker is ready for voting. This vote also includes our new
composite repository.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-204/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/textmarker/tags/textmarker-2.0.0-rc4

Composite repository with three update sites: uimaj, uima-as and
textmarker-2.0.0:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc4/eclipse-update-site

Archive with all sources:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc4/source/textmarker-2.0.0-source-release.zip

Binary distributions:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc4/dist/

The issues fixed are in the RELEASE_NOTES.html in the src/bin packages.
They can also be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.0.0TextMarker%22%20AND%20component%20%3D%20TextMarker%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

ONLY FOR REVIEWING:

Documentation (pdf file):
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc4/tools.textmarker.book.pdf

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC4 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 08.02.2013 23:49, Marshall Schor wrote:
> On 2/8/2013 8:02 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>> After another round of reviewing:
>> - (known issue) additional files LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt in
>> textmarker-ep-engine-2.0.0\META-INF. However, files LICENSE and NOTICE are OK.
> I poked around and saw that this happens when the unpacking of dependent JARs
> into target/classes is done.  Some of these Jars have their own MANIFEST
> directory, and at least one of them has a LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files (the
> org.apache.commons commons-lang3 version 3.1 Jar).
>
> Of course, any of the included JARs could have their own LICENSE and NOTICE
> files, and they would "overlay" one another during the unpacking.  This is why I
> had earlier suggested finding a way to not do the unpacking.  :-)  I finally
> tracked down where we did a change like this in UIMA-2176; if you want (at some
> point) to pursue doing something similar, it could provide an example.  The
> separate build for OSGi bundles was removed in UIMA-2184.  You can see the build
> in the uima-wide parent pom in the profile with id "build OSGi bundle for
> annotator".
>
> Dependent jars are put into a /lib/ directory without unpacking them.  Then, an
> instruction:
>
> <Bundle-ClassPath> is set up to include those Jars.
>
> This approach lets each Dependent Jar keep its own LICENSE and NOTICE files :-).
>
> I'm unsure how important it is to avoid having the embedded/unpacked JARs have
> their LICENSE/NOTICE files potentially overridden. I suppose if all of the
> embedded JARs were manually checked to "bubble up" any LICENSEs / NOTICEs, then
> it would be OK.   If there were no LICENSEs / NOTICEs in an enbedded JAR, then I
> think we would need to get this info from the project itself.  You've probably
> done all this already; I'm just coming behind and checking...

I have already tried something like <Bundle-ClassPath> when I created
the build process for the engine plugin, but could not resolve all problems.

I will take a closer look at the issues you mentioned. And maybe I will
get Richard's changes in UIMA-2560 up and running.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
After another round of reviewing:
- (known issue) additional files LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt in
textmarker-ep-engine-2.0.0\META-INF. However, files LICENSE and NOTICE
are OK.
- (known issue) the sources and source-release contain built files,
e.g., MANIFEST.MF for plugins.
- (new issue) the binary distributions contain only TextMarker binaries,
but not the libraries that are needed to use textmarker-core.jar, e.g.,
uima-core, uima-document-annotation, antlr, htmlparser and so on.
Actually, the engine plugin contains the binaries that are not shipped
in the uima plugins. I personally would not include everything.

I hope that I have not missed anything and that these issues are not
blockers.

Anyways, I vote +1

Best,

Peter

typo in RELEASE_NOTES.html (not a blocker)

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
In line:

Click <a href="issuesFixed/jira-report.html">issuesFixed/jira-report.hmtl</a>for
the list of

replace "hmtl" with "html"

Re: [VOTE][CANCELLED] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC4 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Cancelling this vote and started a new one.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi, Peter, thanks for looking into this.

I was mainly worried if some other change happened which might have made the
build questionable, but your explanation makes perfect sense :-) , and the build
order for RC-4 looks fine to me.

I don't think this warrants a complex fix; I don't think it's that significant.
The source-release zip already contains some extra stuff (like the generated
"issues fixed", which I think is a good thing).

So, I say, let's mark this down as a slight issue, but certainly not a blocker
for releasing :-)

I'll continue testing (probably tomorrow - running out of time today).

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 08.02.2013 15:03, Marshall Schor wrote:
> In the source-release.zip, the LICENSE file has a defective copy of the creative
> commons license, in that the sub-headings (e.g. "a", "b",...) are missing.
> These are used (referred to) by the license, so they have to be there :-).
>
> An example of reference:
>
>      If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice
>      from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the
>      Derivative Work any credit as required by clause 4(b), as requested.
>
> But there is no (b) under "4".
>
> These are in the original license pointed to by the url.
>
> When fixing this, please check other places where this might have been copied
> incorrectly; I only looked here...

fixed.

I will prepare another RC.

Peter