Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/24 05:35:18 UTC

dynamically resizing the Hadoop cluster?

Hi, all

I’m running a Hadoop cluster on AWS EC2,

I would like to dynamically resizing the cluster so as to reduce the cost, is there any solution to achieve this?

E.g. I would like to cut the cluster size with a half, is it safe to just shutdown the instances (if some tasks are just running on them, can I rely on the speculative execution to re-run them on the other nodes?)

I cannot use EMR, since I’m running a customized version of Hadoop

Best,

--
Nan Zhu
School of Computer Science,

Re: dynamically resizing the Hadoop cluster?

Posted by Bryan Beaudreault <bb...@hubspot.com>.
It seems like you may want to look into Amazon's EMR (elastic mapreduce),
which does much of what you are trying to do.  It's worth taking a look at
since you're already storing your data in S3 and using EC2 for your
cluster(s).

Posted by Bryan Beaudreault <bb...@hubspot.com>.

Posted by Bryan Beaudreault <bb...@hubspot.com>.

Posted by Bryan Beaudreault <bb...@hubspot.com>.