Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com> on 2005/07/17 04:29:11 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] ./ Relative paths fail silently / Suse Linux / shell?

Joshua Slive said:
> On 7/16/05, Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com> wrote:
>>

> It is completely unclear to me what problem you are trying to solve.

Well, any script or HTML page that uses this type of path fails. HTML,
PHP, PERL, you name it.

> Exactly where do these relative paths occur?  What do you mean by

In any of the above pages or scripts.

> "fails silently"?  If you are having problems with paths in html

What I mean is that no error is sent to the browser nor generated in
the log files -- in the case of say, a PHP script. Execution stops
cold when it reaches this point. Removing the "./" allows the script
to go forward. Thus my question -- how do I allow the
"./some/path/here" type path to be used in scripts, pages, etc that
are served by Apache?

> pages, then that has nothing directly to do with apache.  The browser

Strange. The browser doesn't seem to have a problem resolving this
sort of path on other systems, so why would it fail silently when
accessing pages or scripts on this server? It doesn't seem to be a
UNIX exception, as the script for phpMyAdmin (an SQL admin tool using
PHP) is written with ./some/path/here paths all over the place.

~Autumnal

Re: [users@httpd] ./ Relative paths fail silently / Suse Linux / shell?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 7/16/05, Autumnal <au...@aurora.nulluser.com> wrote:
> > It is completely unclear to me what problem you are trying to solve.
>
> Well, any script or HTML page that uses this type of path fails. HTML,
> PHP, PERL, you name it.

Forget about everything else until you get plain HTML working.

> > Exactly where do these relative paths occur?  What do you mean by
>
> In any of the above pages or scripts.
>
> > "fails silently"?  If you are having problems with paths in html
>
> What I mean is that no error is sent to the browser nor generated in
> the log files -- in the case of say, a PHP script. Execution stops
> cold when it reaches this point. Removing the "./" allows the script
> to go forward. Thus my question -- how do I allow the
> "./some/path/here" type path to be used in scripts, pages, etc that
> are served by Apache?

And what happens when you include such links in an html page?  Can you
give us the URL for an html page including such links that dosen't
work?

Joshua.