Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Dean A. Hoover" <dh...@rochester.rr.com> on 2004/04/07 01:04:44 UTC

tiles confusion

I've been using (and loving) tiles for a few weeks
now, but I guess I am still missing something
fundamental. I have several definitions I am
using for layouts. Then I have specific definitions
that use those layouts to piece everything together.
I mostly use <tiles:get name="foo"/> to insert content
into a given layout. Here's where I am confused:
I have a layout definition that has the following
component:
    <put name="instructions" value="${instructions}"/>

Then, I have a definition that uses that layout. I want
to be able to set the instructions to reference either
a file or a property in application.properties. Is this
possible? Or does the file that is going to be inserted
into needs to know the nature of the insertion? Also,
I frankly still do not understand the difference between
tiles:insert and tiles:get.

Dean Hoover

Re: tiles confusion

Posted by "Dean A. Hoover" <dh...@rochester.rr.com>.
Maybe I should restate the problem...
How would one go about creating a reusable layout
where the content to be inserted may come from either
the application.properties files (in the simplest case)
or from another JSP file? Is this impossible? Do I
need to duplicate the layout and do the insertion
in different ways depending on the nature of the
content?

Dean Hoover