Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Zico <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/19 17:37:24 UTC

Unexpected alien number

Thank you all. With the help of this group, at last i can configured various
tomcat related problem in our dspace server.
But,hey, guys, i am facing another peculiar problem now.
Everything is ok. Users are inserting the address of our university dspace
server, it becomes ok. But, there is an *alien 8* there on the left top hand
side.

Here, is the screenshot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mohibsshot/2778513940/

Plus, if you want to check our site; here it is:  http://dspace.bracu.ac.bd

Can you see the *8*?

What kind of 8 this is? Here, i want to add that, i have searched a lot for
this alien unexpected 8 in the source code of various pages like,
index.html, header-default.html, headers-styles.css and so on. But, didn`t
find anything there.

Can you please help me to remove that *8*?

--
Best,

Re: Unexpected alien number

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
Zico wrote:

> Plus, if you want to check our site; here it is:  http://dspace.bracu.ac.bd
>
> Can you see the *8*?
>
> What kind of 8 this is? Here, i want to add that, i have searched a lot for
> this alien unexpected 8 in the source code of various pages like,
> index.html, header-default.html, headers-styles.css and so on. But, didn`t
> find anything there.

Looking at the source of the above page one can see the following:

[some empty lines]
8
     <head>
[...]

Probably, whatever generates your welcome page prints the '8' even
before the DTD, or some filter does it, or...

BTW: if you claim that your page is XHTML you should IMO make sure that
it actually is. It's not only the spurious '8' that breaks XML
wellformedness.

Regards
   mks