Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2018/02/16 19:46:25 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (Incubating) 2.1.0-rc2

Hi all,

I'd like to call a vote to release Apache Daffodil (Incubating) 2.1.0-rc2.

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be
found at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/daffodil/2.1.0-rc2/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedaffodil-1001/

This release has been signed with PGP key 033AE661, corresponding to
slawrence@apache.org, which is included in the repository's KEYS file.
This key can be found on keyservers, such as:

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x033AE661

It is also listed here:

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/slawrence.asc

The release candidate has been tagged in git with v2.1.0-rc2.

For reference, here is a list of all closed JIRAs tagged with 2.1.0:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-1897?jql=project%20%3D%20DAFFODIL%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.1.0%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC

For a summary of the changes in this release, see:

https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/2.1.0/

Please review and vote. The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

My vote: +1

Thanks,
- Steve

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (Incubating) 2.1.0-rc2

Posted by Joshua Adams <ja...@tresys.com>.
My vote +1

Josh Adams

________________________________

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@tresys.com>.
My vote

+1

________________________________

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (Incubating) 2.1.0-rc2

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
The VOTE to release rc2 of Apache Daffodil (Incubating) 2.1.0 is now
closed. With a total of +5, and NO -1 votes, the VOTE passes. Overall
vote breakdown is as follows:

+1 John D. Ament (binding)
+1 Steve Lawrence
+1 Mike Beckerle
+1 Josh Adams
+1 Dave Thompson

Thanks to everyone who voted. I'll open the VOTE thread on the Incubator
general list shortly.

- Steve

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your recommendation. I've pushed those changes to PR-51,
which I think now satisfies all concerns raised regarding the
LICENSE/NOTICE files.

If you could do a quick skim of the new files to make sure everything
looks reasonable, that would be greatly appreciated. The files on github
are at:

Source LICENSE:

https://github.com/stevedlawrence/incubator-daffodil/blob/daffodil-1906-license/LICENSE

Source NOTICE:

https://github.com/stevedlawrence/incubator-daffodil/blob/daffodil-1906-license/NOTICE

Convenience binary LICENSE:

https://github.com/stevedlawrence/incubator-daffodil/blob/daffodil-1906-license/daffodil-cli/LICENSE-bin

Convenience binary NOTICE:

https://github.com/stevedlawrence/incubator-daffodil/blob/daffodil-1906-license/daffodil-cli/NOTICE-bin

Thanks,
- Steve

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Steve

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@tresys.com>.
Let me see if I can clarify my question/issue.

For these particular DFDL Schema test files created by IBM incorporating snippets from the DFDL spec document, you suggested we separate these parts.

We cannot do that. These files are test data for daffodil in the same way that a Pascal program is test data to a Pascal comipler. To modify them is to lose their entire reason for being.

Since we cannot do the suggested separation, then what else can/should we do?

We're already listing these files individually, and pointing out their IBM and OGF content. Is anything else necessary?

...mike beckerle

________________________________

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@tresys.com>.
John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Steve,

Comments in line about the source release.  I don't believe any of these
issues block the release, so if you can create JIRA ticket(s) to solve in
the next release that's fine (you can reference those ticket(s) in the
release vote on IPMC as well).

I've done a partial review of the binary, will send a separate email about
that; but +1 to release (binding).

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:32 PM Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>
wrote:

> In the source release, the root has a LICENSE file that mentions four
> "subcomponents" that have non-Apache licenses, and includes the full
> license text for each of those components. Those components are:
>
> 1) Passera library: BSD-style license, this is everything in
>
>   daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/
>   daffodil-lib/src/test/scala/passera/

This is the relevant section in the LICENSE file:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-daffodil/blob/master/LICENSE#L211-L215
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-daffodil/blob/master/LICENSE#L204-L212>
I would recommend listing these paths, and rephrasing as:

  daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/passera/
  daffodil-lib/src/test/scala/passera/
BSD-3-Clause:

(then the license text).

The reason being, we don't care what the product is called, we care about
what the license is under that tree.

> 2) Two Scala library files: BSD-style license. We copied two files from
> the Scala library. These two files are Utility.scala and
> UniquenessCache.scala, located in these two directories
>
>   daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/org/apache/daffodil/xml/scalaLib/
>   daffodil-lib/src/main/scala/org/apache/daffodil/util/

Same pattern

> 3) W3C files, W3C Document License. The 5 file names are listed in the
> LICENSE file, located in:
>
>   daffodil-lib/src/main/resources/org/apache/daffodil/xsd/

Agreed, these are listed as files, but ideally we would list the full paths
to the file (file names are not unique in the bundle, path to the file is
unique in the bundle)

> 4) Snippets from the OGF DFDL spec. These snippets are scattered
> throughout multiple files, but are all located in an "ibm-tests" and
> "ibm-contributed" directories. A grep for "Open Grid Forum" will show
> find the copyright that is included in all these files. The directories
> containing the files are in:
>
>   daffodil-test/src/test/resources/org/apache/daffodil/ibm-tests/
>   daffodil-test-ibm1/src/test/resources/test-suite/ibm-contributed/

Same, please list these.  Also note that partial files get a bit muddier,
if there's a way you can keep the files separate that would be make it
easier (hence why I've asked about modifying the source).

> Those are all the non-Apache licensed files that are include in the
> source release, all of which are mentioned in the LICENSE file, though
> maybe not explicitly enough? Should we include the full directory/file
> paths? Or maybe things need to be reorganized differently to make it
> more clear? Can you clarify what you mean by "pointer". Should we have
> licenses is separate files and point to those files in the LICENSE
> rather than including them? Or just point to a url online where the
> license is? I've looked at a lot of different ASF projects and many seem
> to have different ways of organizing their LICENSE/NOTICE, so I'm not
> really sure exactly what is expected.

If they didn't ask for anything, nothing to add then.  I must have missed
the email about the SGA, let me dig through archives.

> The binary releases have a separate LICENSE and NOTICE, which are stored
> in source release in the daffodil-cli directory (the binary releases are
> built from the daffodil-cli directory). These LICENSE/NOTICE files
> include everything mentioned above since they all end up bundled in
> Daffodil jars, plus the LICENSE/NOTICE information from all the
> dependencies bundled in the /lib directory of the binary release.

One tip, I would rename the binary versions to LICENSE-bin and NOTICE-bin
even though they're in different directories; just to make it clearer what
they're for (since they do show up in the source release).

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Thompson <dt...@tresys.com>.