Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Luca Salvatore <Lu...@ninefold.com> on 2013/10/04 01:15:37 UTC

Network offering for GRE

I'm trying to test getting cloudstack 4.1 to build some GRE tunnels between zones.
I have two zones and a Xen server in each.  I have sdn.ovs.controller set to true and separate physical interfaces configured for management traffic and GRE traffic.
When I deploy a VM in each zone I can see interfaces on the VMs called OVSTunnel… So I think it is all working well.

I want to overlay a layer 2 network across a layer 3 network, but just not sure how cloudstack does this.  It doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
Do I need to create some type of special network service offering to make this happen?  The only 'virtual networking' options I see is Nicira and BigSwitch.
For it to be layer 2, would I need to have each zone using the same subnet? Or should I assign a second NIC to each VM for the purpose of the GRE?

Thanks

Re: Network offering for GRE

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/4 Luca Salvatore <Lu...@ninefold.com>

> For it to be proper layer 2 over layer 3 the VMs in each zone would need
> to be on the same subnet.  That way they can ARP for a VM in a different
> zone and traffic would use the GRE tunnel.

Ah... yes, sure.

--

N.g.U.y.e.N.A.n.H.t.U

Re: Network offering for GRE

Posted by Luca Salvatore <Lu...@ninefold.com>.
What I mean is that, the GRE tunnel is build between the XenServers OVS.
The XenSevers would need public IPs between them for connectivity over the
L3 network.  This is normal for GRE end points.

However the VMs inside the XenServer don't know anything about the GRE.
For it to be proper layer 2 over layer 3 the VMs in each zone would need
to be on the same subnet.  That way they can ARP for a VM in a different
zone and traffic would use the GRE tunnel.
---

Re: Network offering for GRE

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.

Re: Network offering for GRE