Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> on 2013/03/20 15:35:38 UTC

Re: API review: "repository relative URL" or "relative repository URL"

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
> On 03/20/2013 08:21 AM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:

>>> I tend to agree with this term, because "relative URL" already has a
>>> widely accepted meaning that is noticeably different from our usage.
>>
>> Okay, that all works for me.  The hyphenated form helps bind the "relative"
>> to the "repository" as opposed to the "URL", which is precisely the
>> ambiguity I was hoping to clear up.
>>

> Related follow-up:  should we change the output of 'svn info' so that
> instead of:
>
>    Relative URL: ^/trunk/en/README
>
> it prints:
>
>    Repository-Relative URL: ^/trunk/en/README
>
> Or is that just obnoxious?

Probably we can just print:
[[
]]

'^' symbol already states that this URL is repository relative.

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: API review: "repository relative URL" or "relative repository URL"

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 03/20/2013 11:11 AM, Julian Foad wrote:
>> '^' symbol already states that this URL is repository relative.
>
> No.  The "URL:" prefix is already used for the full URL, and we want
> unique prefixes because the 'svn info' output is (I believe) commonly
> parsed by scripts that do things like 'svn info | grep "^URL:"'.

Correct.  I frequently use 'svn info' to get a full URL which I can
copy-n-paste into my web browser or into an email with 'svn checkout'
instructions (where the ^ syntax is useless), for example.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: API review: "repository relative URL" or "relative repository URL"

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ivan Zhakov wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>>  Related follow-up:  should we change the output of 'svn info' so
> that
>>  instead of:
>>
>>     Relative URL: ^/trunk/en/README
>>
>>  it prints:
>>
>>     Repository-Relative URL: ^/trunk/en/README
>>
>>  Or is that just obnoxious?
>>
> Probably we can just print:
> [[
> ]]
>
> '^' symbol already states that this URL is repository relative.

No.  The "URL:" prefix is already used for the full URL, and we want unique prefixes because the 'svn info' output is (I believe) commonly parsed by scripts that do things like 'svn info | grep "^URL:"'.

- Julian