Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org> on 2003/09/04 14:12:11 UTC

Errors handled by map:handle-errors not logged?

I don't know if this is a feature or a bug, but it appears to me that if
an exception occurs, and a map:handle-errors pipeline is sucessfully
processed to show an error page, that the exception isn't logged.

Is this intended behaviour?

Re: Errors handled by map:handle-errors not logged?

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 10:32, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Bruno Dumon wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 14:12, Bruno Dumon wrote:
> >

> >>I don't know if this is a feature or a bug, but it appears to me
> that if an exception occurs, and a map:handle-errors pipeline is
> sucessfully processed to show an error page, that the exception isn't
> logged.
> >>
> >>Is this intended behaviour?
> >>

> >I checked Cocoon 2.0.4 and it also has the same behaviour (errors
> handled by map:handle-errors are not logged).
> >
> >I'm wondering now how, as a system administrator, I could possibly
> know if users are experiencing errors while browsing my site?
> >

> Well, let's add this to PipelineNode.invoke(), but after Carsten is
> finished with the release.

But we still got 10 minutes! Ok ok, I'll wait :-)

While we're at it: what to do with ResourceNotFoundExceptions? Logging
all those would be overkill I think, though they are not always the
result of the enduser requesting a non-existing page, it could also be
e.g. a missing XSL. I propose to log them to a different category, which
by default doesn't log the entire stacktrace.

Re: Errors handled by map:handle-errors not logged?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Well, let's add this to PipelineNode.invoke(), but after Carsten is
> finished with the release.

OT: it was me getting annoyed by this and bugging Bruno to find out why
that was happening. Now, I'm terribly confused how you guys have been
monitoring deployed Cocoon sites in the past. Is there something I'm
missing out?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Errors handled by map:handle-errors not logged?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 14:12, Bruno Dumon wrote:
>

>>I don't know if this is a feature or a bug, but it appears to me that if an exception occurs, and a map:handle-errors pipeline is sucessfully processed to show an error page, that the exception isn't logged.
>>
>>Is this intended behaviour?
>>

>I checked Cocoon 2.0.4 and it also has the same behaviour (errors handled by map:handle-errors are not logged).
>
>I'm wondering now how, as a system administrator, I could possibly know if users are experiencing errors while browsing my site?

Well, let's add this to PipelineNode.invoke(), but after Carsten is
finished with the release.

Sylvain

Re: Errors handled by map:handle-errors not logged?

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.