Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com> on 2003/06/12 21:10:31 UTC

Re: [betwixt] where to place betwixt files

On 12 Jun 2003 at 12:11, Larry Young wrote:

> Hello,
>
>          I thought I had seen a posting about this awhile ago, but I
> couldn't find it on the mail list archive.  In fact I didn't see any
> postings for betwixt after February.
>
>          I'm in the process of jar-ing my application and I was trying to
> figure out where I need to put my *.betwixt files in the JAR.  I was going
> to put them all into a single 'betwixt' directory, but what happens
> down-the-road when I have two classes in different packages with the same
> name?  Does betwixt even allow this?  Does betwixt rely on the path of the
> class to find the *.betwixt file??

Place the betwixt file in the same package as the source file it's defining. A classfile
com.mycompany.MyClass would have a corresponding betwixt file MyClass.betwixt
in the com.mycompany package.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 01:20 AM, Larry Young wrote:

> At 10:16 PM 6/12/03 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>> there have been quite a few postings on the list since then but
>> development hasn't been as swift as we'd hoped...
>

> Robert,
>
>         I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining!   When I went to
> the Mail List Archive from the Betwixt webpage, there are almost no
> messages archived since back in mid-February.  Also, there are several
> messages from "ezmlm" warning about mail bouncing problems for the
> "commons-user" account.  Now I've been subscribed to the mail list for
> the last several weeks, so I know there is definitely traffic, but
> apparently the archiving isn't working.  So when I went to find a post I
> thought I remembered seeing, I couldn't find it in the archive, thus my
> posting above.

if you let us know which archive is having these problems, maybe
infrastructure can look into it.

>         Sorry for the confusion.  I really like betwixt!  No complaints
> here.  I had originally thought that Digester would perform these kinds
> of tasks, so I was rather disappointed when I found out it didn't.  So
> finding Betwixt which does exactly what I need was a real blessing.

no worries - it didn't sound to me like a complaint :)

i am genuinely disappointed that i haven't had the time i'd hoped to work
on betwixt.

- robert

Re: [betwixt] where to place betwixt files

Posted by Larry Young <ly...@dalmatian.com>.
At 10:16 PM 6/12/03 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 08:10 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:
>
>>On 12 Jun 2003 at 12:11, Larry Young wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>          I thought I had seen a posting about this awhile ago, but I
>>>couldn't find it on the mail list archive.  In fact I didn't see any
>>>postings for betwixt after February.
>
>there have been quite a few postings on the list since then but
>development hasn't been as swift as we'd hoped...

Robert,

         I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining!   When I went to
the Mail List Archive from the Betwixt webpage, there are almost no
messages archived since back in mid-February.  Also, there are several
messages from "ezmlm" warning about mail bouncing problems for the
"commons-user" account.  Now I've been subscribed to the mail list for the
last several weeks, so I know there is definitely traffic, but apparently
the archiving isn't working.  So when I went to find a post I thought I
remembered seeing, I couldn't find it in the archive, thus my posting above.

         Sorry for the confusion.  I really like betwixt!  No complaints
here.  I had originally thought that Digester would perform these kinds of
tasks, so I was rather disappointed when I found out it didn't.  So finding
Betwixt which does exactly what I need was a real blessing.

--- thanks again! ---
Larry

--------------------------
Larry Young
The Dalmatian Group
www.dalmatian.com

Re: [betwixt] where to place betwixt files

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 08:10 PM, Brian K. Wallace wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2003 at 12:11, Larry Young wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>          I thought I had seen a posting about this awhile ago, but I
>> couldn't find it on the mail list archive.  In fact I didn't see any
>> postings for betwixt after February.

there have been quite a few postings on the list since then but
development hasn't been as swift as we'd hoped...

>>          I'm in the process of jar-ing my application and I was trying to
>> figure out where I need to put my *.betwixt files in the JAR.  I was
>> going
>> to put them all into a single 'betwixt' directory, but what happens
>> down-the-road when I have two classes in different packages with the same
>> name?  Does betwixt even allow this?  Does betwixt rely on the path of
>> the
>> class to find the *.betwixt file??
>
> Place the betwixt file in the same package as the source file it's
> defining. A classfile
> com.mycompany.MyClass would have a corresponding betwixt file
> MyClass.betwixt
> in the com.mycompany package.

+1

(that's the way things work at the moment.)

it should very easy to add a strategy interface that would allow custom
.betwixt file loading. if this is a priority for anyone, then maybe they'd
like to contribute a patch ;)

(for some guidelines see http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html
and http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/patches.html)

- robert