Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "ORANSKY, JEFF (SBCSI)" <jo...@sbc.com> on 2004/01/22 20:03:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Mod-rewrite questions

I am trying to disable http trace in the mod-rewrite module, the syntax that
I want to stick on my httpd.conf file is:

<VirtualHost <hostname> >
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
RewriteRule .* - [F]
</VirtualHost>

I've rerun the configuration script for the apache source code with:
./configure --prefix=/var/opt/apache --enable-rewrite --enable-so

And then compiled the code and put out a new httpd executable.

When I try to bounce httpd I get:

Syntax error on line 1075 of /var/opt/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not
included in the server configuration

How do I get this configuration syntax to work with my web server?

Jeff Oransky

Technical Architect
BIS Developer Support Team
Business Integration Services
Office:	(925)901-7378
Pager:	(925)340-7665
2600 Camino Ramon, #4E700LL
San Ramon, CA 94583

Re: [users@httpd] Mod-rewrite questions

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, ORANSKY, JEFF (SBCSI) wrote:

> I am trying to disable http trace in the mod-rewrite module, the syntax that
> I want to stick on my httpd.conf file is:
>
> <VirtualHost <hostname> >
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
> RewriteRule .* - [F]
> </VirtualHost>

Ugh.

> Syntax error on line 1075 of /var/opt/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
> not
> included in the server configuration

You don't have mod_rewrite included in your server.  Depending on your
configuration, you may be able to simply uncomment the LoadModule (and
perhaps AddModule) line related to httpd.conf.  If you don't find those
lines, you'll probably need to recompile apache to include mod_rewrite.

Joshua.