Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2006/05/11 11:13:52 UTC

Re: svn.apache.org down, fyi

Theo Van Dinter writes:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 04:48:29PM -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> > If you haven't already noticed, the main webserver for apache.org
> > (including svn.apache.org) is down at the moment.  Folks in #asfinfra
> > are working on it, moving the services to other servers, so I'd expect
> > things to be down for a while longer.
>
> Oh, related to this...  The current plan has svn moving to helios, which
> houses the zones.  In an attempt to help with this, and not having people just
> shut zones off to shed load, I disabled a bunch of our stuff since we're the
> (likely) most resource intensive zone that runs there.  What I did:
>
> service bbmass stopped
> service buildbot stopped
> service freqsd stopped
>
> bbmass cron disabled
> updatesd cron disabled
> automc cron disabled

You do know this has the side-effect of disabling rule updates?
This is not a great idea :(

--j.

Re: svn.apache.org down, fyi

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 10:30:17AM -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> I did send out some mails about this yesterday, so I'm not sure why
> there's a huge surprise now.  It's temporary folks, until minotaur
> (or a new more permanent home for svn and such) is dealt with.

(of course you know there was a mail yesterday, you were responding to it...
/me needs to wake up more before responding to mails in the inbox)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Was there a category of insurance for having your boat stolen by an

Re: svn.apache.org down, fyi

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 10:13:52AM +0100, Justin Mason wrote:
> You do know this has the side-effect of disabling rule updates?
> This is not a great idea :(

Updates for 3.2, which no one uses, yes.

The choices were:

- Have all zones (or at least ours) shut off completely so that helios could
  focus on serving up svn after the minotaur explosion.

- Disable jobs that aren't completely necessary and/or are resource intensive,
  thereby freeing up resources for svn.

I decided that keeping the critical jobs on the zone running (dns, httpd (so
people can get the 3.1 updates), rsync, etc,) was important.

I did send out some mails about this yesterday, so I'm not sure why
there's a huge surprise now.  It's temporary folks, until minotaur
(or a new more permanent home for svn and such) is dealt with.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"This is a kinder, gentler Federal Bureau of Investigation ..." - Jim Duncan