Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by stu robertson <st...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/25 02:53:12 UTC

Stable nightly build including ValidWhen change?

I'd like to start using the new validator
functionality which according to
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/dev_validator.html
is already in place, awaiting the next release.

Is there a particularly stable/least risky nightly
build I should go with?  Are there any significant
changes I need to look out for?

Any informed input would be greatly appreciated.

Stu

Re: Stable nightly build including ValidWhen change?

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

>Quoting Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:
>

>>When we release 1.2.0, it will be the current nightly build,
>>

>Except that's still based on non-released versions of the commons packages,
>right?  Shouldn't a 1.2.x Struts release be based on the most recent releases
>of the commons JARs?

The commons-validator 1.1.0 was released it just wasn't a GA grade jar.
The version in CVS would be a GA Quality, which I could/would release.

My take is that we release 1.1.1 validator and use it for struts 1.2.0.
The concensis
on the struts-dev list was that Validator really needs a struts release
before it could
be voted of Beta/RC quality(i.e. announced on the struts-dev and
struts-user but no where else) list,
because there may be less than 10 people using it standalone. More may
be using the nightly version.

-Rob

Re: Stable nightly build including ValidWhen change?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:

> When we release 1.2.0, it will be the current nightly build,

Except that's still based on non-released versions of the commons packages,
right?  Shouldn't a 1.2.x Struts release be based on the most recent releases
of the commons JARs?

> which we
> consider stable. Since 1.1, the big items have been removing
> deprecations, updating the Validator, and wild-card ActionMapping paths.

If we wanted to do things the way that the Tomcat folks do (which seems
reasonable), we'd post it (with limited announcements, probably struts-dev and
struts-user only) as a "test" build, then wait a few days and hold a vote on
what quality ranking to specify (alpha, beta, stable, or withdrawn if it has a
fatal flaw).  Only after that vote would it get posted onto the normal
distribution cycles and Apache mirrors.

Don't forget to copy pmc@jakarta.apache.org on all releases (test or
otherwise).

> -Ted.

Craig

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
When we release 1.2.0, it will be the current nightly build, which we

ApacheCon logo can be removed

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Ted,

As you're updating the web site, the ApacheCon logo can be removed now.
If you've already finished, I'll get it later on.

Steve

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
 > As for 1.2.0 testing, I would suggest we do TC 3.3.1a and 4.1.28,

Ooops, 4.1.29

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
If the Validation 1.1.1 release is imminent, the best thing might be to
just let that be the Struts 1.2.0 trigger. If it happens a few days
later, then so be it. As it stands, TC3 is our 2.2/1.2 benchmark, and we
don't want to start cutting corners.

Of course, if anyone wanted to step up to bat and cut a Validator 1.1.1
while Rob was on holiday, I'm sure he wouldn't mind :) It's a commons
product, so any Jakarta Committer is eligible to join in the fun!

As for 1.2.0 testing, I would suggest we do TC 3.3.1a and 4.1.28, since
they are the reference implementations for the reigning specifications.

-Ted.

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:

> AFAIK, it's a decent milestone already. :)
>
> I believe to get it ready for "prime time" as a General Availability
> release will mainly be a matter of updating the documentation. But,
> the best way to generate some interest in doing that may be to publish
> a milestone release.
>
> Also, to make the GA grade, all dependent libraries would also have to
> be GA grade. From what Rob says, we want to use the latest Validator
> build now. So, a Commons-Validator 1.0.3 release would help in that
> regard.

The current Validator 1.1.0, and a 1.1.1 release could certainly be done.
I am leaving home at 4 am tomorrow for the weekend, and hesitate over
doing a last minute release....

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Tim Chen <tc...@tampabay.rr.com>.

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Ted Husted wrote:

> Do you want to tag-team on the release again?

Sure.

> As it happens, I'm out of town again next Tuesday-Friday, and it would
> be good if there were another RM ready to step in for any mopping up
> mopped up.

I'll get my mop and bucket ready. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

RE: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by Norm Deane <no...@vanderbilt.edu>.
Would it be possible to get my patch for 12342 applied in the 1.2.0 release?

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=12342

--
Norm Deane
MIS Consultant

Re: 1.2.0 Resurrected

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

1.2.0 Resurrected

Re: [Nightly Build] Validator

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>:

> Craig:
>    The Nightly build of Struts(Nov 24th) has a version of Validator from
> Nov 8th,
>    could you update the of commons-validator build to pickup the latest
> changes?
>    These changes deal with not validating disabled fields.
>
> -Rob

Tonight's nightly should pick up today's builds of the commons packages.

Craig

[Nightly Build] Validator