Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2012/12/07 13:08:36 UTC

Formatting question

Hi All,

This is a personal question not specifically related to OFBiz nor any projects, just curious (and refreshing ;o)

I'm seeking opinion about "one line" vs "multi lines w/t brackets" vs "multi lines w/out brackets" for "if" and "for" expressions

I mean

I personally prefer something like

if (expres) action

than

if (expres) {
    action
}

or

if (expres)
    action

The reason is that IMO it prevents
1) to type useless brackets (with a French keyboard for instance brackets are not easy)
2) when you have no brackets there are less risks to confuse, and wrongly add lines below action "thinking" they will be part of the action

Of course if the expression in action is long that's another story.
And then I still prefer to put brackets to be sure (but I'm a lot tempted to not put them ;o)

Your opinions?

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Formatting question

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Dec 7, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is a personal question not specifically related to OFBiz nor any projects, just curious (and refreshing ;o)
>
> I'm seeking opinion about "one line" vs "multi lines w/t brackets" vs "multi lines w/out brackets" for "if" and "for" expressions
>
> I mean
>
> I personally prefer something like
>
> if (expres) action
>
> than
>
> if (expres) {
>    action
> }
>
> or
>
> if (expres)
>    action
>
> The reason is that IMO it prevents
> 1) to type useless brackets (with a French keyboard for instance brackets are not easy)
> 2) when you have no brackets there are less risks to confuse, and wrongly add lines below action "thinking" they will be part of the action
>
> Of course if the expression in action is long that's another story.
> And then I still prefer to put brackets to be sure (but I'm a lot tempted to not put them ;o)
>
> Your opinions?

My preference is:

if (expression) {
   action
}

but also, especially if it adds readability, and when expression and action are short, the following is acceptable:

if (expression) action

On the other hand:

if (expression)
   action

should be avoided for the reasons you have mentioned.

My 2 cents.

Jacopo

Re: Formatting question

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Adam, Jacopo,

Actually I was wondering while reading "Java Concurrency in Practice"  where Brian Goetz uses
>> if (expres)
>>     action

Some co-workers are also using it. I know some (new) languages also use it as at std way.

I totally agree with you Adam about scanning code :/

Jacques

Re: Formatting question

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
On 12/07/2012 06:08 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is a personal question not specifically related to OFBiz nor any projects, just curious (and refreshing ;o)
>
> I'm seeking opinion about "one line" vs "multi lines w/t brackets" vs "multi lines w/out brackets" for "if" and "for" expressions
>
> I mean
>
> I personally prefer something like
>
> if (expres) action

When scanning code, 'sameness' goes into the background.  If there are
differences, it stands out.  Differences also make it harder to
process, as it takes the brain longer to realize it can skip it.

If some if-blocks have brackets, and some don't, then that is a
difference, and slows down understanding.

> than
>
> if (expres) {
>     action
> }