Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net> on 2013/04/01 22:58:19 UTC

Re: Java 7 support on Tomcat 5.5

On Apr 1, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Satheesh Babu wrote:

> Good Evening!
>
> We're running our production applications in Tomcat 5.5/JRE 1.5, and there is a need for us to migrate our applications to Java 7(JRE 1.7). There is no information available either on java or on Apace Tomcat site regrading the compatibility of java 7 with tomcat 5.5. Could you please let me know the compatibility of Java 7/Tomcat 5.5 (or) do we need to upgrade tomcat to 6 (or) 7, for java 7.
>
> I truly appreciate your response, thanks for your timely help.
>
> Thanks,
> Satheesh Babu

First, this is the wrong list for such a question. This question belongs on the User's list. I am cross-posting on both lists this one time to inform you of this and to relocate the topic.

Second, good to hear that your organization is making the jump to Java 7. Java 6 is no longer supported and Java 8 will be out soon.

Third, upgrade Tomcat. Tomcat 5.5 is extremely old and no longer supported. That's why you won't even find it on the Tomcat site proper [1] anymore, you can only find it in the archives. You will likely not find anyone on these lists willing to help you much with 5.5.

Finally, Tomcat 6 and 7 will both run quite fine on Java 7, but they will not compile on Java 7. If you want a version of Tomcat that compiles on Java 7, you will need to wait for Tomcat 8, which is currently in development and should (hopefully) be out later this year.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/