Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by ParkiratBagga <pa...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/27 08:53:15 UTC

Fanout Queue Sizing Architecture

Hi,

I have some question for fanout queues.

Que1 - I have a fanout exchange and there are 2 queue's attached to the
fanout exchange. Now, when the messages are coming to the exchange, and
being replicated to both the queues. What will be the space occupied by
these messages, as they are the same messages for both the queues? Say I had
sent 100kb of messages, will they occupy 100kb or 200kb after replication,
within the same broker.

Que2 - If there is not actual replication(means 2 copies to message) and
there is only the reference count which is maintained b/w the queues, and I
have 2 queues under fanout exchange for same in-memory size(say 100mb). Will
I be able to send only 100mb of messages to both the queue's or 200mb worth
of messages to both the queues(combined).

Que3 - What will be the behavior of the fanout queue's with respect to the
above 2 questions in case of flow-to-disk enabled with persistence store?
Will it change from the behavior of having only in-memory?

Regards,
Parkirat.

Re: Fanout Queue Sizing Architecture

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 07/27/2012 07:53 AM, ParkiratBagga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some question for fanout queues.
>
> Que1 - I have a fanout exchange and there are 2 queue's attached to the
> fanout exchange. Now, when the messages are coming to the exchange, and
> being replicated to both the queues. What will be the space occupied by
> these messages, as they are the same messages for both the queues? Say I had
> sent 100kb of messages, will they occupy 100kb or 200kb after replication,
> within the same broker.

Generally a single copy of the received data will be held, however the
exact amount of memory consumed will be larger than that and is quite
hard to measure.

On disk, it depends on which broker and which store module you use (e.g.
the c++ broker on linux will write two separate copies of the message to
two separate journals assuming both queues are durable and the message
is persistent).

> Que2 - If there is not actual replication(means 2 copies to message) and
> there is only the reference count which is maintained b/w the queues, and I
> have 2 queues under fanout exchange for same in-memory size(say 100mb). Will
> I be able to send only 100mb of messages to both the queue's or 200mb worth
> of messages to both the queues(combined).

Any policy limiting the size of the queue will apply regardless of the
reference counting. I.e. the size is not split between those queues
holding a reference to the shared data.

> Que3 - What will be the behavior of the fanout queue's with respect to the
> above 2 questions in case of flow-to-disk enabled with persistence store?
> Will it change from the behavior of having only in-memory?

If both queues are durable, then the flow to disk will at present be
triggered on the message regardless of whether all queues have hit their
limit. So e.g. if you consumer from one queue but not the other, then
when the queue not being consumed from hits its limit, messages will
have their data released from memory, which will slow down the consumer
on the other queue as well.

My advice would be to stay away from flow to disk in that scenario however.

Re: Fanout Queue Sizing Architecture

Posted by ParkiratBagga <pa...@gmail.com>.
I am really confused now. I am not getting any fanout architecture
documentation for Qpid as well.
Can somebody please comment on this thread.

Regards,
Parkirat.