Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Peterson <st...@virtation.com> on 2000/05/01 22:23:03 UTC

RE: Classic command line on NT

At 10:35 AM 4/28/00 +0200, Kuiper, Arnout wrote:
> > From: Steve Peterson [mailto:stevep-hv@virtation.com]
> > I'm having an issue with the destination directory for .class
> > files in Ant
> > builds.  My goal is to have the .class file live in the same
> > directory as
> > the .java file.
> >
> > In my build.xml I say
> >
> >    <javac
> >               srcdir="${src.java.dir}/com/databottling/fountain/core"
> >               destdir="${src.java.dir}/com/databottling/fountain/core"
> >               includes="Constants.java"
> >               debug="${debug}"
> >       />
> >
> > where <property name="src.java.dir" value="src"/>
> >
> > If there is a Constants.class in the destdir, javac will
> > overwrite that
> > with the newly created .class.  If there isn't, javac creates a
> > com/databottling/fountain/core/Constants.class inside
> > destdir, which isn't
> > what I want.
>
>There is a simple solution,
>
>use destdir="${src.java.dir}". This is the root of the
>class/package tree.
>
>You might want to use srcdir="${src.java.dir}" also. Ant
>will scan for sourcefiles within that tree. You can narrow
>the search using includes and excludes.
>
>Your example should look like:
>
><javac
>   srcdir="${src.java.dir}"
>   destdir="${src.java.dir}"
>   includes="com/databottling/fountain/core/Constants.java"
>   debug="${debug}"
>/>
>
>See the manual for more information on the include/exclude stuff.

Thanks for the feedback -- this does what I want.

I still want to press the issue a little bit regarding usability,
though.  Speaking as an experienced programmer but a newbie to Ant, my
feeling is that the two forms above should yield the same result.  Either
that or you should document that srcdir _must_ point to the root of the
package hierarchy.

Steve

--
Steve Peterson                               +1 952 948 9729
Principal Consultant                     FAX +1 612 677 3050