Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/10/28 21:53:58 UTC

Re: A couple of quick questions.

Santeri Hernejärvi <gr...@gray.mine.nu> writes:
> How is the 'Last Changed Author' property supposed to work?
> It keeps saying 'anonymous'.
>
> I tried setting svn:author, which seems to work, but the last changed author
> keeps saying anonymous.

Your site isn't requiring authorization to commit -- that is, you
haven't put

        <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
            Require valid-user
        </LimitExcept>

or something similar in the <Location> directive.  (See the INSTALL
file for details.)

Since no httpd requests are requiring authentication, they never
discover who the user is, hence the "anonymous" in your logs.

> Another weird thing, apache seems to ignore the authorization stuff, maybe
> that has got something to do with it.

Yup, see above :-)

> Here's my config, running Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/0.14.3
>
> <Location /svn/repos>
>         DAV svn
>         SVNPath /var/svn
>         AuthType Basic
>         AuthName "Subversion repository"
>         AuthUserFile "/usr/local/apache2/conf/passwd"
>         Require valid-user
>         SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
> </Location>
>
> If it's a bug somewhere I'd be happy to try to debug it, but
> I'll need some pointers.

I don't know what effect the `Require' has when it's at the top level
of a <Location> block like this (i.e., not inside a <Limit> block).
Perhaps it has no effect?

-K

Re: A couple of quick questions.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Thanks -- I learn something every day.  Sometimes it's the same thing
I learned yesterday! :-)

Posted by Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rg...@free.fr>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Santeri Hernejärvi <gr...@gray.mine.nu> writes:
> Actually it does.  It quite simply requires one to be a valid-user
> for all operations.  :-)

So I learned.  Glad I didn't mislead you for too long!

Re: A couple of quick questions.

Posted by Santeri Hernejärvi <gr...@gray.mine.nu>.
--On den 28 oktober 2002 15:53 -0600 Karl Fogel
<kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> wrote:
> Santeri Hernejärvi <gr...@gray.mine.nu> writes:
>> How is the 'Last Changed Author' property supposed to work?
>> It keeps saying 'anonymous'.
>>
>> I tried setting svn:author, which seems to work, but the last changed
>> author keeps saying anonymous.
>
> Your site isn't requiring authorization to commit -- that is, you
> haven't put
>
>         <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
>             Require valid-user
>         </LimitExcept>
>
> or something similar in the <Location> directive.  (See the INSTALL
> file for details.)
>
> Since no httpd requests are requiring authentication, they never
> discover who the user is, hence the "anonymous" in your logs.
>
>> Another weird thing, apache seems to ignore the authorization stuff,
>> maybe that has got something to do with it.
>
> Yup, see above :-)

Fixed it.  My fsck up apache read it's config files from /usr/local/conf
instead of /usr/local/apache2/conf.  Duh.

>> Here's my config, running Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/0.14.3
>>
>> <Location /svn/repos>
>>         DAV svn
>>         SVNPath /var/svn
>>         AuthType Basic
>>         AuthName "Subversion repository"
>>         AuthUserFile "/usr/local/apache2/conf/passwd"
>>         Require valid-user
>>         SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
>> </Location>
>>
>> If it's a bug somewhere I'd be happy to try to debug it, but
>> I'll need some pointers.
>
> I don't know what effect the `Require' has when it's at the top level
> of a <Location> block like this (i.e., not inside a <Limit> block).
> Perhaps it has no effect?

Actually it does.  It quite simply requires one to be a valid-user
for all operations.  :-)

Btw, thanks for all your work.

.s

Re: A couple of quick questions.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> > Here's my config, running Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/0.14.3
> >
> > <Location /svn/repos>
> >         DAV svn
> >         SVNPath /var/svn
> >         AuthType Basic
> >         AuthName "Subversion repository"
> >         AuthUserFile "/usr/local/apache2/conf/passwd"
> >         Require valid-user
> >         SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
> > </Location>
> >
> > If it's a bug somewhere I'd be happy to try to debug it, but
> > I'll need some pointers.
>
> I don't know what effect the `Require' has when it's at the top level
> of a <Location> block like this (i.e., not inside a <Limit> block).

It works, I've got something like that in my httpd.conf (I don't have
the DEFLATE line).

So, it should work, did you remember to restart Apache?

--
Philip Martin

Re: A couple of quick questions.

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Santeri Hernejärvi <gr...@gray.mine.nu> writes:
>> Here's my config, running Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/0.14.3
>>
>> <Location /svn/repos>
>>         DAV svn
>>         SVNPath /var/svn
>>         AuthType Basic
>>         AuthName "Subversion repository"
>>         AuthUserFile "/usr/local/apache2/conf/passwd"
>>         Require valid-user
>>         SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
>> </Location>
>>
>> If it's a bug somewhere I'd be happy to try to debug it, but
>> I'll need some pointers.
>
> I don't know what effect the `Require' has when it's at the top
> level of a <Location> block like this (i.e., not inside a <Limit>
> block).  Perhaps it has no effect?

The effect is the same - it should work. A limit is just that - an
extra limit on which methods it applies to. So that's not the problem.

The only weird thing I can see is that it's "Require" and not
"require" (casing), but that shouldn't matter.

-- Naked