Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Adam Witwicki <aw...@oakfordis.com> on 2019/06/05 12:08:12 UTC

CPU compatibility issue

Hello,

I am having an issue on a new test system, cloudstack version 4.11.00 (shapeblue) with KVM (Ubuntu 16.04), In production and in the past I have used these settings in the agent.properties

guest.cpu.model=SandyBridge
guest.cpu.mode=custom

As this was needed to allow windows 2016 to boot and allow live migration

Yet now on a clean install I get this error when trying to start any instance (console, router, instance)

2019-06-05 13:03:13,282 WARN  [resource.wrapper.LibvirtStartCommandWrapper] (agentRequest-Handler-5:null) (logid:2df290f8) LibvirtException
org.libvirt.LibvirtException: unsupported configuration: guest and host CPU are not compatible: Host CPU does not provide required features: avx, xsave, aes, tsc-deadline, x2apic, pclmuldq

If I use host-passthrough it works

This may be a clue https://github.com/ustcweizhou/cloudstack/commit/16e87a80d85d283d52c3d72001cd94d9fda25278 but I am not sure.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Thanks

Adam

Disclaimer Notice:
This email has been sent by Oakford Technology Limited, while we have checked this e-mail and any attachments for viruses, we can not guarantee that they are virus-free. You must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking.
Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Oakford Technology Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Oakford Technology Limited.
Registered address: Oakford Technology Limited, The Manor House, Potterne, Wiltshire. SN10 5PN.
Registered in England and Wales No. 5971519

Re: CPU compatibility issue

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
To be fair, this fix is not a "fix"  - it just allows "subtracting" CPU
flags for the vCPU from the base model presented, if the physical CPU
doesn't support it.

I spent some time yesterday googling - and it seems like a possible
kernel/qemu bug which is presented on just some CPU models.

Adam, I understood you "solved" your issue by not expecting SandyBrige
while having Westmer :) , right ?

(You could however probably run SandyBridge with Westmere with this patch)

Cheers

--

Andrija Panić

Re: CPU compatibility issue