Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Yury Ruchin <yu...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/27 10:16:52 UTC

Kafka 0.8: delete topic with data

Hi,

I'm using Kafka 0.8 which does not have a command to delete topic. However,
I need the functionality and I'm trying to adopt this approach:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/core/src/main/scala/kafka/admin/DeleteTopicCommand.scala.
I see it simply deletes the topic node from ZK. My question is what will
happen with the topic data after removing the node? Will Kafka brokers be
able to detect that topic does not exist anymore and purge its data?

Thanks,
Yury

Re: Kafka 0.8: delete topic with data

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
No, delete topic support doesn't exist in 0.8 and the inclusion of
DeleteTopicCommand was overlooked when we cut the release. So using that
command can cause unexpected issues in the cluster and we don't recommend
you use it. Delete topic is available in beta in the upcoming 0.8.1 release
but I think it will be stable only in 0.8.2.

Thanks,
Neha