Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Junaid Shahid <ju...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/20 16:24:28 UTC

Is installing xstools.iso drivers enough for Windows VMs?

Hi,
If a Windows VM is spun from a template that is not marked as "Other PV",
rather it is marked as "Windows R2 Std. etc", and we install Xen PV drivers
in that VM by attaching xstools.iso, and reboot it, would the VM start
using new PV drivers or do we have to mark it as "Other PV"?

In our exp. Windows VMs don't need to be marked as "Other PV", and they
still start using PV drivers when and if they are installed.

In KVM for example, the windows VM has to be marked as "Other PV" (in
addition to other necessary steps of course) before the VM starts using PV
drivers (for KVM of course the drivers are different).

Re: Is installing xstools.iso drivers enough for Windows VMs?

Posted by Junaid Shahid <ju...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply!

On CS 4.1 based Xen host , specifying "Other PV" for a windows VM in which
PV drivers have been installed, doesn't cause the VM to crash; the VM boots
and runs OK.. Though specifying or not specifying "Other PV" doesn't have
any effect on a Windows VM. Specifying "Other PV" however for a KVM host
affects both Linux and Windows guests, in regards to PV (virtio) drivers.

Cheers.

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.