Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by rb...@apache.org on 2002/11/24 16:42:27 UTC

APR/APR-util commit messages

We have a problem with APR and APR-util commit messages.  The problem is
that if you commit code from the top of the httpd-2.0 tree, the commit
message goes to cvs@httpd.apache.org, not cvs@apr.apache.org.  This means
that anybody who does not receive httpd commit messages is missing a LARGE
number of apr and apr-util commits.  That is a bad thing.

Either we need to change the CVS commit script to handle this case and
copy both cvs lists*, or we need to somehow stop this from being allowed.
In the meantime, APR developers, please do not commit to APR from the top
of the httpd tree.

I would look into this myself, but Kelly's contractions are finally
picking up, and I don't expect to be on-line much for the next 24-48
hours.

Ryan

Re: APR/APR-util commit messages

Posted by Wilfredo Sánchez <ws...@wsanchez.net>.
   Or, we can stop building apr and apr-util in-tree, which would be a
good thing IMO.

   Though buildconf still doesn't work without apr in-tree.

	-wsv

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>At 12:12 PM 11/30/2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>

>>Perhaps the simplest thing for httpd users is to modify srclib/CVS/Entries
>>and remove the D/apr[-util/-iconv]//// lines.  This prohibits CVS from
>>drilling down into those directories from httpd or other project's commits.
>>

>Before I get assailed for forcing "my way" on the community, I'm just
>offering what *I* choose to do.  I'm only offering a suggestion :-)
>
>Anyone else have some clever tricks up their sleeves when working
>with multiple project's cvs repositories in the same tree?  I'd be interested
>in other workarounds folks have experimented with.

The simplest thing to do is _not_ to "cvs checkout" into the srclib
direcoty. Do the checkout elsewhere, then move the working copy to
srclib, or create a symlink, or whatever. It's doing the checkout in
place that makes CVS update the CVS/Entries file.

Re: APR/APR-util commit messages

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.
At 12:12 PM 11/30/2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>Perhaps the simplest thing for httpd users is to modify srclib/CVS/Entries
>and remove the D/apr[-util/-iconv]//// lines.  This prohibits CVS from
>drilling down into those directories from httpd or other project's commits.

Before I get assailed for forcing "my way" on the community, I'm just
offering what *I* choose to do.  I'm only offering a suggestion :-)

Anyone else have some clever tricks up their sleeves when working
with multiple project's cvs repositories in the same tree?  I'd be interested
in other workarounds folks have experimented with.

Bill

Re: APR/APR-util commit messages

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.
> We have a problem with APR and APR-util commit messages.  The problem is
> that if you commit code from the top of the httpd-2.0 tree, the commit
> message goes to cvs@httpd.apache.org, not cvs@apr.apache.org.  This means
> that anybody who does not receive httpd commit messages is missing a LARGE
> number of apr and apr-util commits.  That is a bad thing.

So don't do that.  Commit the code per tree along with the CHANGES per tree
and there won't be any problem.  In general, doing a blind commit from the
top level without first checking what will be committed is a bad idea.

....Roy

Re: APR/APR-util commit messages

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> Either we need to change the CVS commit script to handle this case and
> copy both cvs lists*, or we need to somehow stop this from being allowed.
> In the meantime, APR developers, please do not commit to APR from the top
> of the httpd tree.

Well, I wouldn't mind having the CVS messages magically arrive at the
right lists, but then again, I've always thought it the case that we were
*supposed* to be careful not to commit to APR from httpd's tree.  So
whether we just enforce this (is it possible?), trust people to be more
careful next time, or magicify the commit mails doesn't matter to me.

--Cliff