Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by user 01 <us...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/28 14:34:43 UTC

What are the advantages of static column family over a dynamic column family?

What are the advantages of static column family over a dynamic column
family? Otherwise why shouldn't I just make all my column families just
dynamic for the reasons of ease?

Do static column families save diskspace or offer better reads/writes
performance ?

Re: What are the advantages of static column family over a dynamic column family?

Posted by Jens Rantil <je...@tink.se>.
Hi user 01 (firstname and lastname?),

I'll give you one technical answer and one related to modelling:

Technical: Sure, you could really put all your data on a single row. The
problem is it will simply not scale horizontally. More cassandra nodes will
not make your cluster perform better and will not give you more resources
in terms of disk or RAM.

Modelling: A single row might only have static columns. To have a self
documenting schema you might want to make your columns for that particular
reason.

Cheers,
Jens

RE: Backup Cassandra to

Posted by S C <as...@outlook.com>.
Despite storing a replica in the "backup node", what is the guarantee that the "backup node" has all the data? Unless you make consistency a priority over availability of your cluster.
I could think of another approach.
You can design your cluster with a topology such that your work load is split into to virtual datacenters and you keep replicas in both datacenters. During read you can do LOCAL_QUORUM and during write you can do EACH_QUORUM. With this set up you can call the second virtual datacenter as a backup. Sorry there are no tapes involved here.
Thanks,KumarFrom: maria.camacho@nsn.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: RE: Backup Cassandra to
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:04:49 +0000

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Maria.

Posted by "Camacho, Maria (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <ma...@nsn.com>.

Re: Backup Cassandra to

Posted by Jabbar Azam <aj...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I never thought of that.

Re: Backup Cassandra to

Posted by Jeremy Jongsma <je...@barchart.com>.

Re: Backup Cassandra to

Posted by Jabbar Azam <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Backup Cassandra to

Re: Backup Cassandra to

Posted by Romain HARDOUIN <ro...@urssaf.fr>.
So you have to install a backup client on each Cassandra node. If the
NetBackup client behaves like EMC Networker, beware the resources
utilization (data deduplication, compression). You could have to boost
CPUs and RAM (+2GB) of each nodes.

Try with one node: make a snapshot with nodetool and configure NetBackup
so the backup client sends data to your tape library or virtual tape
library. And of course, try to restore ;-)
The tricky part is not Cassandra itself, it's to follow NetBackup (or
whatever) best practices.

"Camacho, Maria (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <ma...@nsn.com> a écrit sur
12/06/2014 13:12:18 :

> De : "Camacho, Maria (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <ma...@nsn.com>
> A : "user@cassandra.apache.org" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>,
> Date : 12/06/2014 13:12
> Objet : RE: Backup Cassandra to
>
> Hi,
> Thanks for the quick response Romain.
>
> We would like to avoid using extra disk space, so no DAS/SAN.
> We are more interested in achieving something like what is now being
> done with Oracle – Symantec’s NetBackup is used to backup directly
> to tape, no intermediate storage is needed.
>
> It could be NetBackup or whatever product supported by Cassandra
> that writes the backup on tape without storing it on disk first.
>
> Regards,
> Maria

RE: Backup Cassandra to

It depends which backup software and hardware you plan to use. Do you store your data on DAS or SAN?
Some hints regarding Cassandra is either to drain the node to backup or take a Cassandra snapshot and then to backup this snapshot.
We backup our data on tape but we also store our data on SAN, so it's pretty vendor specific.

Best,

Romain

RE: Backup Cassandra to

Posted by Romain HARDOUIN <ro...@urssaf.fr>.