Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/08/01 00:41:00 UTC

Re: What namespace should new components go in?

HI,

> http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009 -> http://ns.apache.com/mxml/2012
> library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark -> library://ns.apache.com/flex/spark
> library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx -> library://ns.apache.com/flex/mx

Probably better to use "flex.apache.com/ns"  rather than "ns.apache.com" as once we incubate we'll have access to "flex.apache.com" but not "apache.com". While not essential I think it nice if the URIs map to real web page.

I assume it would be possible to have both namespaces coexisting for a while as it's just a mapping between uri's and manifest files in flex-config.xml.

BTW any reason the newer namespace have "library:" rather than "http:"?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: What namespace should new components go in?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I think (but I'm not 100% sure about this) that the "library:" is just a convention for a namespace associated with a SWC.
Which is inconsistent with the mx namespace but I'll assume that's for historic reasons.

> But this convention allows the sole "http:" namespace to stand out as the language namespace that indicates the use of MXML 2006 vs. MXML 2009, which I think is nice.
If we were thinking of adding new apache namespace should we keep the distinction between 2006 and 2009? I'd prefer to drop the year from the URI if we can.

> In general, XML namespaces are not expected to map to web pages.
Sure but it a nice to have I think and also in common usage.  The W3C maps namespace URIs to real URLs (eg http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml). Perhaps we should follow a similar format as described here (and elsewhere)?
http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri

But I like the idea as if a user of the SDK goes to that link it take them to the Apache Flex site - where they can find out more info etc.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: What namespace should new components go in?

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
I think (but I'm not 100% sure about this) that the "library:" is just a convention for a namespace associated with a SWC. But this convention allows the sole "http:" namespace to stand out as the language namespace that indicates the use of MXML 2006 vs. MXML 2009, which I think is nice.

In general, XML namespaces are not expected to map to web pages.

- Gordon