Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/25 00:47:30 UTC

Extensions

I translating Help for AOO. I found in one line this:
Have a look at <link href="http://www.dmaths.org">www.dmaths.org</link> for
a set of additional %PRODUCTNAME Math icons and macros.
I looked this site and look what I found there:
"Dmaths will NOT work in Apache-OpenOffice 4.0 presently. Please get and
install the up-to-date version of LibreOffice instead."
This is not good message for AOO.
We had in Serbia simmilar problem with one of the most-frequently-used
extension in Serbian. Thanks for Jörg Schmidt he made version for AOO 4.0,
but we have still some problems here, because old version of this extension
is still visible on AOO Extension site! It is silent message for all: this
is not working on AOO, but here is on our site. What conclusion will create
most of visitors whe they see this? So, I have some propositions:
1) Administrators must have create the rule: extensions on AOO site
"Extension" must declared as appropriate or non-appropriate for AOO4.0.
2) In future we must made restriction for those extensions on our site
3) There is some the most frequently used extensions. What we can do to
ensure that this extension works in AOO 4.0? Can we invited authors of this
extensions to made version for AOO4.0? Can we create some fork, if it is
totaly legal (for example, for extensions where authors of extensions do
not want to make corrections for AOO 4.0 and when licence permit forks?

Regarsd,
Wlada

Re: Extensions

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 25 October 2013 01:59, Vladislav Stevanovic <
stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:

> >I don't get what you would restrict. Do you mean that you would "hide" all
> extensions that are >not compatible with 4.0? I think they can stay...
> Maybe it is possible to add a warning to the >extensions that do not have
> releases explicitly compatible with 4.0?
>
> Warnings, at least, would be good idea.
> Also, "Filter option" on site "Extension" need to has option for what
> version of AOO you want to find extension.

A filter option is a real good idea.

rgds
jan I.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
>if an author of an extension is not interested to support AOO anymore we
>can't change it.

If extension is under some open source licence AND if author has no
interest to maintain his extension, what is problem that we made
corrections?

Regards,
Wlada

Re: Extensions

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Roberto Galoppini
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/10/30 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic <
>> stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> @Kay: In my earlier mail of this discussion:  "Also, "Filter option" on
>>> site "Extension" need to has option for what version of AOO you want to
>>> find extension."
>>> I do not know how I droped this from my Proposals.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Wlada
>>>

>> Ok -- yeah I see that now in the thread but not in the "proposals" -- it
>> was somehow missed and it really is the easiest solution to this dilemma.
>> Well, at least with Roberto's help, we can move forward with this idea.
>
> As promised I've investigated further into this issue, here my findings.
>
> A) Despite we'd love to be able to distinguish between 'maintained'
> and 'umaintained' extensions there is no easy way to tell. In fact
> developers when they create an extension they can set a minimum and a
> maximum release version. Most of the times only a minimum release
> version is indicated.
>
> B) Extensions' authors can also use Extensions website to indicate
> release compatibility.
>
> Having said that if we want to figure out if a given extension is or
> is not AOO 4.0 compatible we need to test it ourselves.
>
> I believe the best way to go is to get a team of people committed to
> test few extensions and report findings. Based on those findings we
> could send a message to those extensions' authors to inform them about
> the compatibility check. We could add that we'll take care of updating
> the Extension website accordingly, so that end-users will know if a
> given extension works or not on AOO 4.x.
>
> I can take care of delivering the mass mailing as we did in the past,
> we probably need a bunch of volunteers to test those extensions so
> that we can target at least the top 100/200.
>
> Does it sound like a plan?

Just brainstorming, since I don't know how hard this would be.  Have
you seen what Apple does in their App Store?  They allow ratings of
apps per iOS version.  If we did something similar, "I rate this 5
stars on AOO 4.0", then we can crowdsource this evaluation.  Of
course, we can also pro-actively test and enter ratings into the same
system.

-Rob

Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/31 jonathon <to...@gmail.com>:
> On 10/30/2013 05:28 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>
>> A) Despite we'd love to be able to distinguish between 'maintained' and 'umaintained' extensions there is no easy way to tell.
>
> Let's take "Extension 6318" as an example.
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/extension-6318
> Μaintainer: Unmaintained
> Extension ID: com.readability.ReadabilityIndices
> Release Date: 07/04/2013
> Compatiblity: 3.4
>
> Questions:
> Where is that "unmaintained" datapoint coming from?

At migration time, from OSUOSL to the actual platform, for very few
extensions authorship was missing, so you might want to read
'anonymous' if you prefer.

> Why are extensions that have a non-descriptive name, and no explanation
> of what they are supposed to do, publicly available?

Because someone created them and we didn't feel like erasing them. If
we want - after some testing - take a different decision we could take
a different course of action.

Roberto

Re: Extensions

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/31 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Roberto Galoppini <
> roberto.galoppini@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2013/10/30 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>:

>> > Ok -- yeah I see that now in the thread but not in the "proposals" -- it
>> > was somehow missed and it really is the easiest solution to this dilemma.
>> > Well, at least with Roberto's help, we can move forward with this idea.
>>
>> As promised I've investigated further into this issue, here my findings.
>>
>> A) Despite we'd love to be able to distinguish between 'maintained'
>> and 'umaintained' extensions there is no easy way to tell. In fact
>> developers when they create an extension they can set a minimum and a
>> maximum release version. Most of the times only a minimum release
>> version is indicated.
>>
>> B) Extensions' authors can also use Extensions website to indicate
>> release compatibility.
>>

> ok, this B) is what I was referring to (and probably Wlada as well).
>
> I don't know how easy it would be for SF to "get at" this information, at
> least, and use it in a filter. If it could be done, we could at least start
> there.

Pretty easy, I'd say it's ready to go. Until we start testing those
extensions we won't be able to provide valuable info for the above
mentioned reasons, though.

Roberto

Re: Extensions

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Roberto Galoppini <
roberto.galoppini@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/10/30 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic <
> > stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> @Kay: In my earlier mail of this discussion:  "Also, "Filter option" on
> >> site "Extension" need to has option for what version of AOO you want to
> >> find extension."
> >> I do not know how I droped this from my Proposals.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Wlada
> >>

> > Ok -- yeah I see that now in the thread but not in the "proposals" -- it
> > was somehow missed and it really is the easiest solution to this dilemma.
> > Well, at least with Roberto's help, we can move forward with this idea.
>
> As promised I've investigated further into this issue, here my findings.
>
> A) Despite we'd love to be able to distinguish between 'maintained'
> and 'umaintained' extensions there is no easy way to tell. In fact
> developers when they create an extension they can set a minimum and a
> maximum release version. Most of the times only a minimum release
> version is indicated.
>
> B) Extensions' authors can also use Extensions website to indicate
> release compatibility.

ok, this B) is what I was referring to (and probably Wlada as well).

I don't know how easy it would be for SF to "get at" this information, at
least, and use it in a filter. If it could be done, we could at least start
there.

> Having said that if we want to figure out if a given extension is or
> is not AOO 4.0 compatible we need to test it ourselves.
>
> I believe the best way to go is to get a team of people committed to
> test few extensions and report findings. Based on those findings we
> could send a message to those extensions' authors to inform them about
> the compatibility check. We could add that we'll take care of updating
> the Extension website accordingly, so that end-users will know if a
> given extension works or not on AOO 4.x.

This is a good way to get going on this for sure!

> I can take care of delivering the mass mailing as we did in the past,
> we probably need a bunch of volunteers to test those extensions so
> that we can target at least the top 100/200.
>
> Does it sound like a plan?

yes, and a good one.

> Roberto

> >> mark,
> version
> and
> appropriate
> of
> this
> extension
> get

> earlier,
> >> by

> search

> >> Users
> without

> I'm
> might
> >> be

> >> tuned!

> way to
> >> even
> version
> >> buttons?Before
> where
> that
> page
> >> of
> end-user
> miss

> about
> step is
> >> skills,
> who

> >> need
> >> run

> > --

MzK

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
 Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
                          -- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Re: [ABCD/02][2013/10/30] Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/31 jonathon <to...@gmail.com>:
> On 10/30/2013 05:28 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>
>> I can take care of delivering the mass mailing as we did in the past,
>> we probably need a bunch of volunteers to test those extensions so
>> that we can target at least the top 100/200.
>
> I don't if you mean:
> * Each individual is to test 100 - 200 extensions;
> * Only 100 - 200 extensions are to be tested;
>
> Regardless, each extension needs to be tested on each platform that AOO
> is available for. Ideally, BSD & Linux testing would be for several
> different distros, and versions of those distros.

I'm with you about testing them on different platforms, and ideally
I'd love us to be able to test all extensions. Still I believe
targeting top extensions is a viable way to go if we want to achieve
results in a reasonable time frame, everything else will require a lot
more time.

> If you want people to test more than five or six extensions, write a
> tool that will automatically install all of the extensions in a file
> directory.

Your help would be precious with that, at this time I can commit to
keep deploying a better website both for Extensions and templates,
releasing a new version every six months or so.

Roberto

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
This is update of proposal:

Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/28 Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>:
>>If you wish I might do the same for
>>oootranslit, or if you're already in touch with the original author
>>please make sure he/she does the update or ask him/her to send me a note.
>
> I sent a mail to the author of OooTranslit, also on forum, but he
> never answered.
> If you can, please try.

I'll give it a try, sure.

>> Our plan A will be like 2), but if we do not get any answer this is
>> what I suggest as plan B.
>> Enhance the Extensions website and if an end-user try to download an
>> extension that has not been updated a pop-up might ask him/her if
>> they're looking for an extension compatible with AOO 4.x or older
>> version. If they ask for AOO 4.x they'll be redirected to the new
>> extension page, otherwise they'll get the 3.x compatible extension.
>
> If I understood you correctly, we can not making any  changes on some
> web page of site "Extension" where is stored some extension, because
> we are not authors for this page.
>
> Ok.
> So, here is new proposal:
> 1) Mark all unmaintained extensions on our site

Why should we mark them?

> 2) Send mail to authors of extensions with request to make appropriate
> changes (in some short period)

Ok

> 3) If author does not answer on our mail, or does not update his
> extension, we will make this changes inside extension (if licence of
> extension permit) and make new web page on site "Extensions" for this
> new version.

Who's going to do those changes?

> 4) If an end-user try to download an extension that has not been
> updated a pop-up might ask him/her if they're looking for an extension
> compatible with AOO 4.x or older version. If they ask for AOO 4.x
> they'll be redirected to the new extension page, otherwise they'll get
> the 3.x compatible extension.
> 5) Maybe is cleaver next: therms and conditions for web site
> "Extension" we must look carefully, and, if it is possible,  make
> changes in that manner that this problems we can manage in future much
> more easily.

ToS can't tell a legitimate author he/she is not owning his/her
content page. We might invite them to consider to have a co-maintainer
- a new feature we're working on - but I wouldn't go any further,
though.

Roberto

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/27 Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>:

>> Solution: rather than deleting/moving the extension, we should work on the
>> maintainer side and have an "unresponsive maintainer" policy like many
>> other projects do. An extension can be reassigned if the maintainer is not
>> responsive. The new maintainer can add new releases or edit the description
>> (for example, to include information about 4.0 compatibility). It may not
>> be very nice, but surely it's better than removing an extension altogether.
>> And it preserves all older releases.
>>

> +1  Good idea.
> So, here is proposal:
> 1) Mark all unmaintained extensions on our site
> 2) Send mail to authors of extensions with request to make propriate
> changes (in some short period)
> 3) If author does not answer on our mail, or does not update his extension,
> we will make this changes

Extensions pages' copyright holders might not like the idea of someone
else editing their pages without their consent. Extensions do not
belong to the community, but only to the original authors.

Our plan A will be like 2), but if we do not get any answer this is
what I suggest as plan B.
Enhance the Extensions website and if an end-user try to download an
extension that has not been updated a pop-up might ask him/her if
they're looking for an extension compatible with AOO 4.x or older
version. If they ask for AOO 4.x they'll be redirected to the new
extension page, otherwise they'll get the 3.x compatible extension.

>  As I wrote, mr. Jorg was made this changes on one Serbian unmaintained
> extension, and now it working on AOO 4.0. Question: how can we put this
> extension on our site (there is still only old version)?
> Old version of this extension you can find here:
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oootranslit

I'm actually managing a similar issue with Oracle PDF Import
extension. I've asked the original author and get approval for
updating the extension. If you wish I might do the same for

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 25/10/2013 Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> I urge the preservation of old "unloved" extensions; users with
> computer skills could often extract the code and modify it to their
> requirements, as I have recently done myself. Clear marking of an
> extension as 4 compatible would be helpful.

Indeed the idea of deleting extensions creates more problems than it
solves (actually, it doesn't solve problems) and I would definitely
avoid it.

The real problem comes from unresponsive maintainers. Compatibility
information is already available for all releases, but when a user
downloads an extension, unless the maintainer hasn't marked it as
compatible with 4.0, he cannot know: it may or may not work with 4.0.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
Ok, as I can see we have consensus about marking all uncompatible
extensions.
Also, I think taht we  need to improve search filter for versions AOO or
Ooo.
Now, how goes practical action? Who maintain this site "Extension"? Is
there some procedure what we must respect?

Regards,
Wlada

Re: Extensions

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Extensions

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Please check the documentation to update your extension for 4.0
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions/Extensions_and_Apache_OpenOffice_4.0#API_changes_between_3.4_and_4.0

Changes can be as simple as just add the few new tags on the XML from the
xcu.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic <

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor