Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com> on 2022/01/01 06:44:11 UTC

[Julia] Development process 2022-01/06

Hi,

https://github.com/JuliaData/Arrow.jl has been transferred
to https://github.com/apache/arrow-julia . There are some
development process related issues that should be resolved
in the near feature (2022-01/06):

  1. There is no Apache Arrow committer in the Julia
     implementation developers yet.

  2. There is no official documentation on the development
     process for the Julia implementation yet.

1. No Apache Arrow committer in the Julia implementation
   developers

It means that the current Julia implementation developers
can't merge their pull requests. At least 1 Apache Arrow
committer should help apache/arrow-julia . They should merge
pull requests approved by the current Julia implementation
developers.

At least Kenta Murata (@mrkn), Kazuaki Ishizaki (@kiszk) and
I (@kou) will merge approved pull requests for now. Please
mention them on approved pull requests. They will merge
approved pull requests.

If you're an Apache Arrow committer and you can help
apache/arrow-julia, please share your GitHub account.

I think that we should have at least 1 Apache Arrow
committer from the Julia implementation developers for
smooth development in the near feature. I'll recommend Jacob
Quinn (and others) for Apache Arrow committer on private@
once we can develop apache/arrow-julia with the Apache way
at least a few months.

2. No official documentation on the development process for
   the Julia implementation

I think that we need the official documentation on the
development process for the Julia implementation to develop
apache/arrow-julia with the Apache way. If we don't develop
apache/arrow-julia with the Apache way, I can't recommend
any Julia implementation developers for Apache Arrow committer.

I've created an issue for documenting it:
https://github.com/apache/arrow-julia/issues/270
It summaries our discussions.

Could someone work on this issue or help to complete this
issue? I hope that some of the Rust implementation
developers help to complete this issue by reviewing
documentation. Because apache/arrow-julia uses
apache/arrow-rs like development process. (See the above
issue for related links.)

kou