Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by chutch <g....@gmail.com> on 2014/08/05 11:58:31 UTC

How to create configuration for Managed Service Factory with Karaf features?

I'm trying to create a simple configuration for  Amdatu's MongoDB
<http://www.amdatu.org/components/mongodb.html>   component. When I create a
file named *org.amdatu.mongo-kairos.cfg* with following line inside
*dbName=kairos* and put it into the deploy folder - everything works OK.
However, when I'm trying to use config tag in features.xml nothing happens.

Part of my feature file,  which uses configuration tag:
<http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/provisioning.html#Configurations>

<feature name="persistency" version="0.0.1-SNAPSHOT" description="MongoDB
Persistency">
    //(...)
    <config name="org.amdatu.mongo-kairos">
        dbName=kairos
    </config>
</feature>

The above is a copy/paste from my stackoverflow question, I didn't know
about the list. So if someone is interested in getting points, please go
ahead. :-)

Re: How to create configuration for Managed Service Factory with Karaf features?

Posted by chutch <g....@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the answer! I'm using Karaf 3.0.1

I do have some thoughts after switching to config files. I've created config
folder next to the pom.xml and added following part into the build section:

<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-install-plugin</artifactId>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <id>persistency-config</id>
            <phase>install</phase>
            <goals>
                <goal>install-file</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
                <groupId>${project.groupId}</groupId>
                <artifactId>persistency-config</artifactId>
                <version>${project.version}</version>
                <packaging>cfg</packaging>
                <file>config/org.amdatu.mongo-kairos.cfg</file>
            </configuration>
        </execution>
    </executions>
</plugin>

And following entry in my features.xml

<configfile finalname="/etc/org.amdatu.mongo-kairos.cfg">
        mvn:groupId/persistency-config/version/cfg
</configfile>

I think that this is great, because it allows to keep several configurations
for different environments. (staging/prod) And, moreover - it keeps
different versions of configs along with versions of your app is it
develops!

This also made me to version the feature.xml as a separate maven project.
(with the usage of the very same maven plugin)

Re: How to create configuration for Managed Service Factory with Karaf features?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

It's an issue already identify (and fixed).
What's the Karaf version ?

Anyway, as a workaround, you can use <configfile/> instead of <config/>.

Regards
JB

On 08/05/2014 11:58 AM, chutch wrote:
> I'm trying to create a simple configuration for  Amdatu's MongoDB
> <http://www.amdatu.org/components/mongodb.html>   component. When I create a
> file named *org.amdatu.mongo-kairos.cfg* with following line inside
> *dbName=kairos* and put it into the deploy folder - everything works OK.
> However, when I'm trying to use config tag in features.xml nothing happens.
>
> Part of my feature file,  which uses configuration tag:
> <http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/provisioning.html#Configurations>
>
> <feature name="persistency" version="0.0.1-SNAPSHOT" description="MongoDB
> Persistency">
>      //(...)
>      <config name="org.amdatu.mongo-kairos">
>          dbName=kairos
>      </config>
> </feature>
>
> The above is a copy/paste from my stackoverflow question, I didn't know
> about the list. So if someone is interested in getting points, please go
> ahead. :-)

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net