Posted to users@directory.apache.org by werner mueller <we...@mimacom.ch> on 2009/12/08 00:02:37 UTC

apacheds not starting anymore after server crash

hello

I'm a little desparate at the moment: we had a server crash. after
rebooting the server i tried starting the apacheDS again but it
terminates with an Input/output error in the logs (see below).

is there a way to repair the database or re-initialize it?
or is there another way?

we use apacheDS 1.5.4 with java 1.6 on Debian 4.0 (so far it was running
for months with no issues)

any tipps would be great!

thanks a lot
regards

werner

[23:40:16] DEBUG
[org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries.DefaultAttributeTypeRegistry]
- lookup with id2.5.4.3' of attributeType: <2.5.4.3, cn>
Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Input/output error
         at java.io.RandomAccessFile.readBytes(Native Method)
         at java.io.RandomAccessFile.read(RandomAccessFile.java:322)
         at jdbm.recman.RecordFile.read(RecordFile.java:402)
         at jdbm.recman.RecordFile.get(RecordFile.java:160)
         at
jdbm.recman.LogicalRowIdManager.fetch(LogicalRowIdManager.java:135)
         at jdbm.recman.BaseRecordManager.fetch(BaseRecordManager.java:337)
         at jdbm.recman.BaseRecordManager.fetch(BaseRecordManager.java:315)
         at
jdbm.recman.BaseRecordManager.getNameDirectory(BaseRecordManager.java:457)
         at
jdbm.recman.BaseRecordManager.getNamedObject(BaseRecordManager.java:393)
         at
jdbm.recman.CacheRecordManager.getNamedObject(CacheRecordManager.java:370)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmTable.<init>(JdbmTable.java:148)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmIndex.initTables(JdbmIndex.java:189)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmIndex.init(JdbmIndex.java:158)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmStore.setupUserIndices(JdbmStore.java:375)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmStore.init(JdbmStore.java:275)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.impl.btree.jdbm.JdbmPartition.init(JdbmPartition.java:248)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultDirectoryService.initialize(DefaultDirectoryService.java:1317)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultDirectoryService.startup(DefaultDirectoryService.java:840)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.configuration.ApacheDS.startup(ApacheDS.java:126)
         at org.apache.directory.server.Service.init(Service.java:86)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.UberjarMain.main(UberjarMain.java:56)

Re: apacheds not starting anymore after server crash

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
werner mueller a écrit :
> Emmanuel LŽcharny schrieb:
>> werner mueller a écrit :
>>> hello
>>>
>>> I'm a little desparate at the moment: we had a server crash. after
>>> rebooting the server i tried starting the apacheDS again but it
>>> terminates with an Input/output error in the logs (see below).
>>>
>>> is there a way to repair the database or re-initialize it?
>> The only way is to remove all the .db/.lg files and to reinject all
>> the data into the server. In other words, starting back from a backup :/
>>
>> We are working on a DSR system (Disaster Recovery System) in order to
>> be able to restore a base when it has crashed like that, it will be
>> present in 2.0.
>>
>> Sorry for the inconvenience ...
>>

> hello
>
> thanks for the reply!
>
> i was a little scared because the backups where all hot copies of the
> running server. but an older version did the job! the server came up
> running again!
>
> it turned out the schema was broken in apacheds/data-default/schema/cn.db
> that file could not even be copied anymore on the system itself (same
> input/output error.
FYI, the next version will have a ldif based schema, so it won't be
possible to break it... We are currently working on that.

> can't wait for version 2.0 :-)

So do I !

Glad you fixed your problem...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: apacheds not starting anymore after server crash

Posted by werner mueller <we...@mimacom.ch>.
Emmanuel LŽcharny schrieb:
> werner mueller a écrit :
>> hello
>>
>> I'm a little desparate at the moment: we had a server crash. after
>> rebooting the server i tried starting the apacheDS again but it
>> terminates with an Input/output error in the logs (see below).
>>
>> is there a way to repair the database or re-initialize it?
> The only way is to remove all the .db/.lg files and to reinject all the
> data into the server. In other words, starting back from a backup :/
>
> We are working on a DSR system (Disaster Recovery System) in order to be
> able to restore a base when it has crashed like that, it will be present
> in 2.0.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience ...

hello

thanks for the reply!

i was a little scared because the backups where all hot copies of the
running server. but an older version did the job! the server came up
running again!

it turned out the schema was broken in apacheds/data-default/schema/cn.db
that file could not even be copied anymore on the system itself (same
input/output error.

can't wait for version 2.0 :-)

best regards

werner

Re: apacheds not starting anymore after server crash

Posted by Emmanuel LŽcharny <el...@gmail.com>.