Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by DomG <dg...@road-inc.com> on 2007/04/25 13:04:26 UTC

When will 4.2 become stable ?

Hi All, and in particular James,

In a previous post
(http://www.nabble.com/Active-MQ-4.2-tf3396877s2354.html#a9457615), you have
mentioned that 4.2 was going to be made stable in a month or so (mid March
07).

What is the latest on this ?

I have also read that the 4.2 branch was potentially going to become a 5.x
version (that a Feb07 post mind you). I assumed when reading that statement
that 4.2 would not actually be made stable. Although your later post (above)
seems to indicate the opposite, I am still unsure as to whether we should be
going for 4.2 or 4.1.1. Obviously, we prefer to go with stable cuts.

I would like to go with 4.2, mainly because of the WEB Console functionality
in there.

Many thanks,

DomG.

Re: When will 4.2 become stable ?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/07, DomG <dg...@road-inc.com> wrote:

> thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Are you saying that when 4.2/5.0 becomes stable it will require Java 5 ?

Yes - 4.2/5.0 is currently based on Java 5 so we can take advantage of
the better java.util.concurrent support. For folks stuck on 1.4 we can
use retrotranslator to convert the jars (or folks can install the
retrotranslator JIT to silently work with any Java 5 code).

--
James
-------

Re: When will 4.2 become stable ?

Posted by DomG <dg...@road-inc.com>.
thanks for the quick reply.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 5/25/07, Oleg Deribas <th...@td.selfip.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> James Strachan said the following on 25.04.2007 14:15:
>
> > Yeah - thats just a rename really as 4.2 is not backwards compatible
> > with 4.1 clients in OpenWire (its a new OpenWire version) and along
> > with the move to Java 5, the 4.2 release will be renamed 5.0 I think
>
> James, does it mean that it is impossible to use 4.2 with the current
> client implementations, for example - .NET and C++ clients?

We'll certainly make sure they are working before we ship 4.2. Note
that both .Net and C++ also support Stomp which is better at dealing
with version changes than OpenWire.

--
James
-------