Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by manju16832003 <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/10 05:24:38 UTC

Difference in boosting with q and eDisMax. Are they same or different?

Hi,
In an application I'm working on, I have applied two types of search
criteria to Solr.
First one is a definitive search using filter query (fq) where by I know
exactly the fields I'm searching for.
Secondly I use eDisMax for full-text search, this would be applied when user
enters keywords. The keyword field is combination of fields (using
copyField).

Is there a difference in applying boosting to 'q' query and eDisMax query?

If I apply boosting to q, the way I do it is
select/?q=listing_type:bump^100 listing_type:featured^10
(*:*)^1&bq=recip(rord(creation_date),1,3,3)^1.5

If I'm using eDisMax what is the appropriate way of using boosting?
I'm bit confused with using params when we apply eDisMax
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtendedDisMax

Can I apply boosting query to *q.alt*
Ex: select/?defType=edisMax&q=*:*&q.alt=listing_type:bump^100
listing_type:featured^10 (*:*)^1&bq=recip(rord(creation_date),1,3,3)^1.5

what is the significance of qf,pf,pf2, bq, bf and boost in eDisMax for
boosting documents?