Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Keith Schomburg <ks...@cisco.com> on 2002/02/27 19:14:41 UTC

RE: How may I catch an IOException when there disk space has run out for a FileAppender?

What is the behavior of log4j when there is not more available disk
space?  Will log4j buffer up messages until sufficient disk space
is freed up or will it silently drop messages?

We have recently run into this problem as well.  The behavior that
appeared to be occurring was that messages that were unable to
be logged due to insufficient disk space were buffered up and later
written out when disk space was freed up.  If this is the actual
behavior of log4j this seems a little dangerous in that it could then
not only exhaust disk space but heap space as well due to buffered
log messages.

Keith

Posted by Dan Lipofsky <da...@nuserve.com>.
> unfortunately, in java there is no metod to detect the volume space
remaining.

JConfig has a way to find free disk space.  I haven't
used it - I just found out about it by a google groups search.
See http://www.tolstoy.com/samizdat/jconfig.html
- Dan

Re: How may I catch an IOException when there disk space has run out for a FileAppender?

Posted by T Master <tm...@iknowledge.com>.
The default logs an error message once afaik.

unfortunately, in java there is no metod to detect the volume space remaining.

logging to console is very slow imho.   for a server this affects performance.

Posted by Keith Schomburg <ks...@cisco.com>.