Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by fjl_london <na...@fjl.co.uk> on 2009/04/25 14:53:11 UTC

RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED test - I'm on the whitelist so spam gets through

I've recently started playing with Spamassassin, and I've hit a problem that
I can't find in the Apache documentation.

The RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED test obviously checks to see if a server is
whitelisted, and reduces the spam score by 4 if it is. Leaving the merits or
otherwise of this whitelist's contents to one side, I'm getting an
undesirable effect that must impact other people:

I've got lots of mail servers. It's a hobby, okay? I just like mail servers.

Spam arrives at server A. Server A is whitelisted. Server A sends it (with a
.forward) to server B, which is running Spamassassin. Server B looks up
server A in the whitelist and knocks 4 of the spam score.

What's the cure? There's an implication that adding the IP of server A to
'internal_networks' will cause it to be ignored, but it doesn't seem to be
working in this case.

I checked the source code and there's something in _check_whitelist_rcvd()
that appears intended to get around this problem (WLBLEval.pm). This
suggests that either it's broken, or I'm not configuring it correctly (i.e.
setting the wrong option entirely?)

Before I launch into rewriting this module in a language I only have a
passing acquaintance with, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've found and read things like

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustedRelays

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath

and

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

but I guess I'm missing something fundamental.

Thanks, Frank.

Re: RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED test - I'm on the whitelist so spam gets through

Posted by fjl_london <na...@fjl.co.uk>.
Thanks - this seems to have done the trick - I only had one of these set
(trusted_networks at the last try). There's a subtle difference between the
two I'll obviously have to investigate.

mouss-4 wrote:

> fjl_london a écrit :
>> Spam arrives at server A. Server A is whitelisted. Server A sends it
>> (with a
>> .forward) to server B, which is running Spamassassin. Server B looks up
>> server A in the whitelist and knocks 4 of the spam score.
>>
>> What's the cure? There's an implication that adding the IP of server A to
>> 'internal_networks' will cause it to be ignored, but it doesn't seem to
>> be
>> working in this case.
>>

> I use this
>
> #liszt.debian.org [82.195.75.100]
> trusted_networks        82.195.75.100
> internal_networks       82.195.75.100
>
> (among other entries) and it works.
>
>> I checked the source code and there's something in
>> _check_whitelist_rcvd()
>> that appears intended to get around this problem (WLBLEval.pm). This
>> suggests that either it's broken, or I'm not configuring it correctly
>> (i.e.
>> setting the wrong option entirely?)

P.S. Apologies if this message looks a mess - first time using Nabble and I
don't know what it'll do

Re: RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED test - I'm on the whitelist so spam gets through

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.