Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com> on 2019/12/23 09:22:54 UTC

Signal to Noise (was RE: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal)

Hi,

Ok we both have no honor nor impulse control :)

I was thinking about calling a vote on limiting the # of emails. We have a
very gifted team. With that comes some strong instinctual desires for
exactness.

This really resonated with me when I first heard it.

Don't Let the Perfect Be the Enemy of the Good [1]

	Voltaire: “The best is the enemy of the good.”
	Confucius: "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."
	Shakespeare: “Striving to better, oft we mar what's well.”

[1] https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249676

Re: Signal to Noise (was RE: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I was thinking about calling a vote on limiting the # of emails.

IMO A vote will not help, it will make things worse, perhaps try discuss but most of all just try to be a little more considerate for people who are subscribers to this list. No hard rules just guidelines and consideration of your users. Not everything needs a vote. That being said, let'd be clear that's just my opinion and carries no more weight than any other person here. (I’m not wearing my mentor, IPMC or VP Incubator hat unless I explicitly state otherwise and that is very rare).

There’s a Spark talk that might help here (by Holden Karau) on the firehose that is their mailing list and PRs they get, I see if I can find the talk. Just be aware, that for a number of reasons, what Spark does may not be the best model to follow for an incubating project but it may give some insight all the same.

Thanks,
Justin