Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Eric Butts <bu...@hotmail.com> on 2020/02/21 09:32:45 UTC

New developer - workstation laptop processing power

Hi
I’m a new “learning” Nifi developer needing recommendations on how much horse power in a laptop workstation do I need ?
All of my developer learning will be done on workstation.  No access to server-side storage systems

Thanks in advance for the recommendations

Re: New developer - workstation laptop processing power

Posted by Endre Kovacs <an...@protonmail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Eric,

My machine is a:

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Mac Book Pro.

To compile the whole project it takes about 10-14 minutes.
(the more powerful your CPU is and the more cores you have, will drive this down when compiling with -T 2.0C flag.)

To run in standalone mode (non-clustered) NiFi can run basically on any machine.

The speed of processing data with it will be faster if you have faster CPU, and fast / multiple SSDs.

If you plan to run NiFi clustered on your machine (either through docker-compose or in multiple virtual machines), then you will need more ram and cores that you can assign to the docker engine / the virtual machines.

My machine fits the job well for standalone mode and compile. (However i am not running NiFi in clustered mode on this machine).

So it really depends on what you intend to do.
Best regards,
Endre